Himura_battousai
Chapter 250: Autumn Winds

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Then--there was suddenly a lot of change for the people I knew.

(At the Oguni Clinic.)

Kaoru: You're going back to Aizu?! This is so sudden...

Megumi: I didn't really decide suddenly. I've always been thinking of opening a clinic where I grew up. Now that this whole thing is over, and Ken-san and Yahiko are better, I've decided to leave Tokyo in a week.

Kaoru: Kenshin...

Kenshin: It will be a little lonely here without you, Miss Megumi, but this is something you've chosen to do for yourself. It's been an honor knowing you.

Megumi: Thank you ... By the way, Ken-san ... I've kept quiet up till now, but as your doctor, there's something I need to tell you...

Then--there was suddenly a lot of change for the people I knew. Thinking back on it, maybe Miss Megumi's announcement was the beginning of it all...

(Standing guard in front of the police station, Shin'ichi lets out an enormous yawn.)

Shin'ichi: I'm so bored. I wish something would happen around here.

Fellow Guard: Don't say that! That's bad luck!

Shin'ichi: Sorry, sorry ... It's just that nothing exciting has happened around here lately... (getting a manic gleam in his eye) Don't you get filled with that overwhelming sense of duty as an officer in times like that?

Guard: Idiot! I don't want any more of that! I don't want to die on this job!

(Kenshin is walking toward them.)

Shin'ichi: Master Himura!

(He bowls Kenshin over with his enthusiasm.)

Kenshin: You must be...

Shin'ichi: Shin'ichi Kosaburo, officer, fifth class, sir!

Kenshin: Mr. Shin'ichi, then, why do you call me sir?

Shin'ichi: I heard all about you from the chief! I believe all Ishin Shishi are worthy of respect!

Kenshin: ... Well, it doesn't matter. I don't want to go into the station since I'm carrying a sword. Would you take this for me?

Shin'ichi: Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for you, sir ... A letter?

Kenshin: Yes. Please give this to Inspector Fujita.

(In Saitou's office. Saitou is sitting on a couch holding the letter, while Chou toys with a sword.)

Chou: From Battousai? Zat some kind of thank-you note or something?

Saitou: Why don't you read for yourself? Chou (picking his nose): Lemme see then...

(He ends up stabbing himself in the nose and bleeding in shock.)

Chou: Man, this is...

Saitou: Huh. Funny, isn't it. But this is no time for jokes. He's finally...

I've kept quiet up till now, but as your doctor, there's something I need to tell you...

Kenshin: This must have to do with my condition, doesn't it?

(Everyone looks surprised.)

Megumi: So you've noticed...

Kenshin: It is my body, so ... I first felt something was wrong some time after the Kyoto battle ... And now each time I fight it gets a little worse. It was so faint that I might have been imagining it, but I felt that something was stagnating in my own body.

Megumi: It's true that in the time since I examined you in Kyoto and when I examined you today, your condition has gotten worse...

Kenshin: It was probably mastering the succession technique ... that acted as the trigger.

Megumi: The Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu is a style of kenjutsu that was meant to be used by large men, blessed like Hiko with a muscular physique that shields their bodies. Ken-san, you're just a little too small. No matter how great your talent, the more you use it, the more damage your body will take. You've seen the slight damage already...

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close