Himura_battousai
Chapter 238: Sushin Battle--Aoshi versus Suzaku

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Suzaku: Of the Sushin brothers, I, the Suzaku, am best at patterning myself after the enemy's techniques. In other words, I'll turn your own moves against you to send you to your death!

(They spring back.)

Oniwaban-shiki Kodachi Nitou-ryuu Onmyou Hasshi!

(Aoshi lines up his two swords, thrusting one forward to propel the other through the air; the Suzaku does precisely the same thing, and the swords strike tip to tip in midair. They go spinning off into the air, and they each catch their own.)

Misao: What's with this guy? How could a mass-produced face like that be a match for Aoshi?

Kenshin: No ... They're not evenly matched.

Misao: You're right! He's no match for Aoshi. You're so smart to see it, Himura!

(Kenshin does not respond.)

Misao: What are you just sitting there silent for?!

Megumi: There!

Misao: Two swords reversed! That stance-- (thinking): The Kaiten Kenbu Rokuren!

(Suzaku mimics it perfectly. They each touch each other only slightly; their strokes have left a perfect grid drawn in the sand.)

Suzaku: That must have been your best technique. You didn't even blink when I copied it, but I saw that you understood. At first glance I'm returning your moves exactly ... But in truth, I'm just the slightest bit faster! We're not evenly matched. I'm just that little bit better! All martial arts is repeating imitations of the founder, and I've perfected that. This is real proof that I've surpassed those imitations. And if I can go beyond perfect imitation, then no one can stand against me! I've mastered all of your techniques. Now it's time for me to challenge you.

Aoshi: If you think you can finish the job.

(They attack.)

Misao: What do we do Himura?!

(Kenshin doesn't answer.)

Misao: There you go keeping quiet again! Say something! You worry me when you just sit there like that!

Kenshin: All right. One thing.

Misao: What is it?

Kenshin: Trust in Aoshi. That's enough.

(Suzaku knocks Aoshi's swords out of his hands.)

Suzaku: That's it! Now the moment of the final stroke ... There's nothing more amusing than the thousand different expressions of those I've killed with their own techniques. That's why the fight will never end. What expression will you show me--

(Aoshi kicks him solidly in the face.)

Suzaku: Ke-kempo?!

Aoshi: I understand your imitation trick, but three hundred years of Oniwaban martial arts isn't so weak it can be beaten with a trick. An imitation is still just a copy. New techniques are worked out by combining a number of arts.

Suzaku: Ridiculous! That was simple carelessness, letting in an unexpected blow. Your fists are no match for your own swords!

(Aoshi puts a hand on one of his blades.)

Aoshi: Because it is my own sword, it's no match for me.

(He twists his hand suddenly, breaking the sword.)

Aoshi: Don't worry ... I could easily take care of you here and now, but then you'd just be a fool drowned in the joys of battle. Killing you would be meaningless.

(He walks off.)

Misao: Aoshi! Bravo! Hallelujah! You're the best! I believed in you!

Megumi: With a personality like that, she'll never be down for long.

Kenshin: True.

Heishin: This is unbelievable ... Two of my Sushin have already been defeated.

He Zui!

(Byakko punches Sanosuke in the shoulder.)

Heishin: Byakko!

Guan Shou! Bei Zhi! Xiao Ju! Ping Ju!

(He rains blows down on Sanosuke.)

Byakko: What do you think, boy? This is my Bai Hu Zhang Ju! The fist takes the shape most suited to the point being attacked! Just like the tiger that rules the jungle, I hunt all prey! I, Byakko, of the Sushin brothers, am best at violent attacks! I don't bother with little tricks like reading moves or copying them. It's all attack, attack, attack--

(Sanosuke knocks him back with a massive uppercut.)

Sanosuke: First you won't shut up and then those fussy little moves! If you wanna take me out, bring it on with just one good punch!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close