Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 237: Sushin Battle--Saitou versus Seiryuu

(Saitou charges.)

Megumi: The Gatotsu!

(Misao: That's the first time I've seen it!)

(Saitou leaps past him, striking him in the shoulder; Seiryuu makes no effort to block or dodge.)

Saitou: What's wrong? You intend to die without moving a step?

Seiryuu: I saw that.

(He passes a hand over his hand, pushing his toothy grin into a solemn, closed-mouthed expression.)

Seiryuu: I knew at a glance you were no ordinary fighter. Had I defeated you without knowing your special technique, my life could have been forfeit. To get away with only an arm in exchange, the price of victory is cheap!

Saitou: You think you can beat me one-handed?

Seiryuu: Among the Sushin brothers, I, the Seiryuu, am best at understanding techniques. There is no move I can't see through at a glance!

Saitou (resuming Gatotsu stance): I see. That's very impressive. But if you can't dodge it, understanding it is meaningless. If you can't counterattack, there is no victory!

Seiryuu: I know that well! Your attack's weak point--

(As Saitou charges forward, Seiryuu swings around to his right side.)

Seiryuu: A forward stab with the reactionary force of aiming the thrust. If you slide into the momentary blind spot created by your right arm, no matter how strong your attack is useless!

(He stabs Saitou in the right shoulder. They spring apart; Saitou charges again, and once again Seiryuu dodges and wounds him.)

Megumi: Ken-san...

Kenshin: He's right ... The Gatotsu by nature has a blind spot on the right. And at the peak of executing a poweful stabbing technique like the Gatotsu, the field of vision becomes very narrow. Because of this, if you slipped into that blind spot, his reaction would be delayed by an instant. I've made use of that weak point myself. And he's made good use of his weapon's length. He's completely outside of Saitou's range. Saitou's katana is no match for the downward sidesweep techniques.

Megumi: So he can't even use the Zero Shiki, since he's out of range.

Kenshin: That's ... No...

Seiryuu (grinning): You know it now. That technique is useless. Give up and show me your next move. Of course, I'll see through that one too.

Saitou: You must be enjoying yourself. That mouth you shut is back to normal.

(Seiryuu passes his hand over his mouth, closing it again.)

Seiryuu: It's rude. To smile in the middle of a fight is rude. I know that very well. Even if victory is looking you in the face.

(The long-toothed grin bursts out again.)

Saitou: You're in the habit of seeking pleasure in the midst of a fight. I'll tell you something you should know. Before victory, look utter evil in the eye. If you do, you'll enjoy a losing battle.

(He charges forward in Gatotsu stance.)

Seiryuu: That move again! I've already seen through it--

(Saitou's right hand grabs him across the face.)

Saitou: What's wrong? You can't smile anymore? I've wasted enough time with a man who can only smile when he's winning. It's over.

Kenshin: Besides the Gatotsu, what keeps that man strong is a justice composed of three words. He lost a war and his comrades, but he never swerved in his belief "Kill evil instantly." If Saitou could be beaten by countering the Gatotsu, he and I would have settled things in Bakumatsu Kyoto...

(Saitou executes a Zero Shiki Gatotsu, shattering the pike and knocking Seiryuu down.)

Misao: Aoshi!

(Aoshi has blocked the Suzaku's two swords with the sheated kodachi.)

Suzaku: Why don't you draw? I already know those are two kodachi.

Aoshi: Really ... Then I don't need to hold back.

Kodachi Nitou-ryuu Onmyou Kousa!

Likewise!

(Suzaku counters with a similar crossed-sword slash, and the four swords are locked together.)

Misao: That's... (thinking) That was the same as Aoshi's Onmyou Kousa!

Suzaku: Of the Sushin brothers, I, the Suzaku, am best at patterning myself after the enemy's techniques. In other words, I'll turn your own moves against you to send you to your death!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close