Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 228: A Man's Back 3--Family Portrait

Father Higashidani Kamishimoemon (41)

Eldest Son Sagara Sanosuke (19)

Eldest Daughter Higashidani Uki (16)

Second Son Higashidani Outa (6)

The next day.

(Early that morning, a jubilant Uki and a bleary Outa and Higashidani are surrounded by mountains of straw hats.)

Uki: We're done! We made it!

Higashidani: See what I can do when I go all out? All right, we're going into town! Wrap 'em up!

(The family strikes out with the hats in big bags on their backs. A farmer couple notices them.)

Farmer: Higashidani? What're those bags? You running off then?

Higashidani: Idiot! Me, running away in broad daylight? That'd be worse than me and Fudozawa killing each other!

Uki: Dad!

Higashidani (heading on his way): Quit worrying about us and raise our share of the daikon. We gotta eat this autumn!

Farmer's Wife: No matter what happens, he never changes.

Farmer: Hope he does all right. This isn't just about silkworms. If we lose the waystation, we'll all...

(Sanosuke is standing in a rocky, weed-choked field.)

Sanosuke: Terrible. Forget this year, they aren't gonna be able to grow anything here for a long time.

(The Higashidani family is walking by; Uki catches sight of him.)

Uki: Hey! What do you think you're doing! Get out of our fields!

Sanosuke: They're not really fields, more like wasteland.

Uki: Shut up! I don't care, just get out!

(Sanosuke gives her an odd look.)

Higashidani (stiffly): How do y'do.

Sanosuke: How do y'do.

Higashidani: I hear you helped out my daughter the other day. Come with us and I'll buy you some lunch.

(They walk into town; Higashidani leaves them at a soba restaurant.)

Higashidani: You go on and eat. I'll get these sold.

(Inside)

Uki: What do you want, Outa? What, tempura soba? Me too! Excuse me! Two tempura sobas please!

Sanosuke: Look, half-head. Uki: No! Nothing for you! I don't care what dad says, I hold the family money and as long as you call me half-head, you don't eat!

(Sanosuke gives her the same odd look.)

Uki: Wh-what. You keep-- (She blushes and puts her hands on her cheeks.)

Uki (thinking): That's it! He's fallen in love with me, a lonely flower in bloom in the backwater town of Shinshu! It's only natural! He only calls me half-head to hide his affections!

Mistake. Sanosuke (thinking): She used to be this cute little girl, running along after me calling "Sanosuke! Sanosuke!" People sure change.

Uki (sighing): Well, I suppose you can't help it. All right! You may eat.

Sanosuke: What? (What was that all about?)

(After their meal.)

Uki: That was good. Now Outa, when you finish eating you have to wipe your mouth. And when we get home you'll have to brush your teeth. We don't want you to get cavities.

Sanosuke: Y'know, yesterday was one thing, but you're too soft on that kid.

(Uki gives him an angry look.)

Uki: Don't tell me about my family! You're just a stranger, you don't know anything about us!

Outa (softly): Um...

Higashidani (from outside): Why don't you run that by me again!

Uki: What that ... Dad?

(Higashidani is down the street, arguing with a shopkeeper.)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close