Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 227: A Man's Back 2--Two of a Kind

Fudozawa: The high-quality silk from this region passes through this highway town. In the new era, it's a major export, and if I controlled it I could make huge profits. With more than two hundred followers and a powerful patron, there's nothing I can't do. But when it comes down to it, he always gets in my way. The stubborn old man Higashidani. He's pretty tough; none of my men can deal with him. You're a street fighter. I want you to take care of him.

Sanosuke: Don't say it like I'm an assassin. Whether he dies or not is up to fate; it's got nothing to do with me. If I enjoy the fight, that's all that matters.

(Outside the Higashidani house. Kihei holds a bow and an arrow with a note tied to it.)

Gohei: Aim well, brother. As it is now we're just flunkies.

Kihei: I know it! If I kill him now there'll be nothing for Zanza to do. We'll turn the tables on him now!

(He fires; Higashidani snatches the arrow out of the air.)

Higashidani: What's this? An arrow-letter? (untying it.) Dammit, one of Fudozawa's men.

Uki: Dad, what's all that noise?

Higashidani: Nothing.

(The note reads: "I want a fight. I'll wait by the lone tree in the east valley. Zanza.")

Higashidani: Uki, I'll be out for a while.

Uki: Dad! We have to finish the hats for tomorrow! If we don't work all today we won't make it!

Higashidani: I'll be back by lunchtime.

Uki: Dad!

(A bright summer morning. Sanosuke leans against a tree.)

Higashidani: You alone? You must not think too much of me.

Sanosuke: I hate having a lot of deadweight around. Fights're more fun one on one.

Higashidani: One of Fudozawa's gang? Great.

Sanosuke: I'm not in his gang. I'm just a fighter. (turning to face him) So let's get started...

(He stops.)

Higashidani: What's the matter? Something on my face?

Sanosuke: ... Dad...

Higashidani: You're ... Sanosuke...

Sanosuke: So the girl yesterday was my sister Uki. And the kid with the round cheeks, Outa ... is that my little brother?

Higashidani: Sanosuke...

(He punches him in the face.)

Higashidani: Don't you call me dad! Sure, I had a son named Sanosuke, but he ran away to join Sagara's false army when he was ten! I don't know if he's alive or dead, but no son of mine would work for the likes of Fudozawa!

Sanosuke: That's right ... I left home ten years ago. But I'm not Sanosuke. I'm Sagara Sanosuke. And now, I'm the street fighter Zanza.

Higashidani (smiling): Come on. There's a bond between us since you got the same name as my son. So ol' Kashishimoemon'll knock some sense into you instead of your real father.

Sanosuke: Come on, you excuse for a father!

Higashidani: Bring it on, prodigal son!

(They fight. Higashidani dodges one of Sanosuke's punches, grabs his arm, and sends him flying and twisting through the air.)

Higashidani: Killer Technique Father's Whirlwind Throw!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close