Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 224: From Samurai to Descendent of Samurai

The next day. Excerpt of the report submitted by Shin'ichi Saburou. At that time, I didn't understand the truth of what had happened. A flash of light, a sudden gust of wind and a roaring sound--I thought lightning had struck before my eyes, but I was wrong. An instant later I realized that the great man had fallen face-up, and a swordsman had appeared in my field of vision. He was truly--awe-inspiring! Aoshi: ... Looks like he found his answer.

Saitou: I wonder.

Misao: Awright! Let's do it, Himura!

Megumi (brandishing her medicine chest): But let me look at you first!

Kujiranami: Battousai!!

(He pulls himself to his feet.)

Officers: Augh, he got up! He's still gonna fight?

Misao: Persistent bastard! There's no way you can win! Go home!

Megumi: It's no use. He still hasn't returned to his senses.

(Kujiranami fires, but Kenshin runs in faster.)

Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu Ryuushousen!

(The upward blow knocks the gun clean off his arm.)

Megumi: His eyes have changed color...

Aoshi: The source of his madness was the loss of his right arm. When he felt the same blow, his senses returned. Or ... they were forced to return.

Saitou: They're back to where they started. How will he follow this up? Cut off his left arm this time?

Kujiranami: Finish it. With the new age the Ishin Shishi stole the honor of the samurai. And you stole my death from me. I failed again; I won't speak of Earthly Justice. But this time let me have death by your hands! This is your duty! Finish it!

Kenshin: I cannot. Whatever the reason, I will not kill again.

Kujiranami: You think I'll accept that answer? Kill me! Kill me or I'll take the rounds I have left and kill us all where we stand--

Yahiko: I won't allow that.

(He stands alone, on Kujiranami's other side.)

Megumi: Yahiko!

Misao: Idiot! Get out of there!

Yahiko: Even now, you're still a samurai. Kenshin's a samurai. You're a samurai. Even if you'd fight and die for them, you should accept your different beliefs. But you won't call this over, with your right arm! Samurai hating samurai isn't right! Honor, the age ... you keep going on about them, but they're just empty words. You should think about what you're going to do with this age that samurai gave their lives for! You strapped a gun on your missing right arm and went on a rampage, but what have you done with your left arm? If you still want to fight, then we'll do it left on left! Fight me once more!

(Kujiranami regards him for a long moment.)

Kujiranami: Child. What is your name?

Yahiko: I'm not a child! I'm Myoujin Yahiko, descendent of Tokyo samurai! Now are you going to fight or not!

(Kujiranami turns to face Kenshin.)

Kujiranami: Descendent of samurai ... I thought those were just words. I thought the heart of a warrior and the will of the soldier would be destroyed in the new age. It seems I was wrong.

(Yahiko stands stunned, as the others rush around him.)

Misao: You have a death wish or something?

Shin'ichi: Are you all right?

Megumi: You shouldn't be so reckless.

(Tears are streaming down Kujiranami's cheeks.)

Kujiranami: I have lost. As Myoujin Yahiko says, samurai shouldn't hate each other. I'm sorry to have troubled you.

Kenshin: Kujiranami Hyougo. Live again, in this new age...

Kujiranami: You have shown me great kindness. I thank you for that.

Then, at 4:47 p.m., Kujiranami Hyougo was taken back into custody.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close