Himura_battousai
Chapter 222: Truth

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Tsubame makes her appeal to the unresponsive Kenshin.)

Tsubame: ... One of the four men they arrested got out and started attacking people. Yahiko fought him to keep him from reaching the city ... But he's still not completely healed from before. And the other man is too strong and too big ... Kenshin ... Please. Help him.

(Kenshin doesn't move.)

Kuma: That's what I thought. You did what you came to do. Better get on home--

(Tsubame falls to her knees.)

Tsubame: Please. I beg you. Just stand up one more time ... Please!

(She says it over and over.)

Tsubame: Save Yahiko...

Oibore (patting her on the shoulder): That's enough, little one.

Kuma: Oibore!

Oibore: Kuma, could you see her out?

(Kuma takes her by the arm, not unkindly.)

Kuma: All right, guys, out of the way. Tsubame (as she walks away): Please...

(Oibore settles against the wall, beside Kenshin.)

(Tsubame's words echo in Kenshin's head. Save Yahiko. Save him. Save him... )

Oibore (after a pause): Now what was that all about.

(Kenshin's grip on the sword tightens.)

Kenshin: ... I told them to leave me alone. I told them I was tired. I told them.

(Another pause.)

Oibore: They call this place Rakuninmura. Saints or sinners, we don't turn anyone away. But to live here, you have to throw away everything you have. Not just lose it ... Everything you never gave up on comes back to you in the end. Even to you...

Kenshin: It's no use. I can't find it. The answer--how to atone for the crimes I committed as a hitokiri. I can't find it!

(Oibore looks at him for a long moment.)

Oibore: Is that so. Even with your weak, confused heart, you won't let go of what you're holding so tight in your hand...

(Kenshin looks down at the sword.)

Oibore: You lose what's most precious to you ... exhaust yourself body and soul. But if you have something you can't bring yourself to throw away, whatever anyone says, that's your only truth.

There's one thing I can do. Protect the happinesses of the people I see before me. If one sword can still catch people's eyes, than it's enough to protect. People are suffering all around me. Whatever the reason, I can't let them be. (Oibore picks up the little bottle and puts the stopper back in.)

Oibore: I guess we've thought enough about the past. Now ... and from now on ... the people who never stopped believing in you are waiting for your return!

(Kenshin seizes the hilt of the sword and pulls it free of the sheath, breaking the chains that held it.)

(Later. Kuma comes across Oibore sitting alone, next to some broken links of chain.)

Kuma: So he's gone?

Oibore: He's gone.

(Kuma sits down by the wall.)

Kuma: Y'know, you're too nice to these guys.

(Oibore laughs.)

Kuma: So that samurai finally got up and left. The rooster-headed guy and the girl came here talking about revenge and got nothing.

Oibore: That's not his truth. They couldn't reach his heart that way. But if someone came asking for help, no matter how small, they'd reach him. That's his truth, so he had to answer. He would find a way to break his bonds and rise...

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close