Himura_battousai
Chapter 220: Yahiko's True Fight 4

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(In a warehouse on the Arakawa, Aoshi and Saitou take out the last of the men they found there. A number of policemen look on in amazement.)

Police: That didn't take as long as I thought. They're amazing. Got that right. There were fifty of them! We didn't have to do a thing.

Saitou: An isolated island ... I thought he'd be on the water.

Aoshi: That'll be where Yukishiro Enishi and Kamiya Kaoru are.

Saitou: Let's go.

Aoshi: Right.

(Chief Uramura bursts in.)

Uramura: Inspector Fujita! Kujiranami Hyogo has broken out of his cell and escaped! There's a carriage waiting outside! We have to get back to the city!

Saitou: I give up.

Misao: Oh, I give up.

(She's standing in the Ogata clinic, eyeing the rows of casualties with distaste.)

Misao: I just dropped by to kill some time, and look at this mess. What is this, a field hospital?

Megumi: Stop chattering and help.

Misao: An escaped convict on the loose? How about I go take care of him?

Megumi: If you're not going to help, then go home.

(Dr. Ogata returns.)

Megumi: Doctor. How do things look?

Ogata: A number of police have joined the battle, so the convict hasn't entered the city. There won't be too many more casualties. But what worries me is that it seems there's a boy carrying a shinai mixed up in the fighting...

Megumi: He wouldn't... !

Misao: Let's go!

(Yahiko faces down Kujiranami unflinchingly.)

Officer: A match... ?

Officer: They're close enough he can't use the grenades, and they could each attack ... But he's just not strong enough.

Shin'ichi (thinking): Can he win? Kid...

Yahiko (thinking): One spot to aim for ... One chance to win! But if I miss...

(The wind blows a few leaves across the street.)

Yahiko (thinking): Don't back down! Just look at what's in front of you.

(He remembers Kenshin running ahead of him, on the night of the Akabeko explosion.)

Yahiko (thinking): When I close my eyes that's all I see. To follow him ... and some day, to catch up with him ... To follow that path ... I have to clear the way!

(A single leaf floats close to him and suddenly snaps. Shin'ichi jumps.)

Officer: What is it?

Shin'ichi: Nothing. It's just ... just now ... a leaf just flew in front of the kid and burst...

Officer: What? Your eyes must be playing tricks on you.

Shin'ichi (thinking): No, I saw it. Only one, but I definitely saw it break ... I've heard about this. Only a first-class swordsman can do it. A screaming kiai. Sword-ki!?

Yahiko: Let's go!

(They rush forward. Kujiranami brings down the heavy bayonet-tipped gun.)

Kamiya Kasshin-ryuu Ougi no Mamori Hadome!

(His crossed wrists catch the gun under its barrel.)

Officer: He's trying to stop it with the backs of his hands? That's insane!

(The impact of the gun is shattering, but Yahiko holds his ground.)

Ougi no Seme Hawatari!

(He jumps forward, driving the hilt of the shinai into Kujiranami's chest.)

Yahiko (thinking): Below the arms is one of the body's vital spots. The shock from the blow travels from the ribs to the guts. Even if you're left conscious, you can't catch your breath--you'll be almost paralyzed.

(But the blow hardly seems to faze Kujiranami--he swats Yahiko down with his left hand.)

Shin'ichi: Kid!!

(Meanwhile, Tsubame has arrived at Rakuninmura. Gritting her teeth, she steps through the gate. Instantly men arise to block her way.)

Men: What are you doing here alone, little girl? This here's off limits to strangers. You take one more step, you better be ready to take the consequences.

(Beyond them, Tsubame can see Kenshin, still sitting slumped against the wall.)

Tsubame (thinking): Kenshin ... Kenshin... !

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close