Himura_battousai
Chapter 206: End of the Dream

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

What is a person's worth? How many people weep when they die. By that, you'll know. Many people came to the funeral of Kamiya Kaoru (deceased aged 17). Many tears were shed. But at that funeral, Himura Kenshin could not be found. (Yahiko, Sanosuke, Megumi and Tsubame are sitting outside the dojo on a hot summer's day.)

Tsubame (in tears): Why ... how could he...

Yahiko (thinking): When I woke up, it was all over. I was in a bed at the Oguni Clinic. So I never saw how Kaoru died. What I saw was the purified Kaoru in her shroud. She looked like a different person. Maybe that's why, even now, it doesn't feel like she's dead ... And Kenshin ... no one's seen Kenshin since. Sanosuke sent his friends out to search, but they haven't found him yet ... Where would he go? He doesn't have anywhere to go back to but here ... The man who killed her, Yukishiro Enishi, fled with his comrade under cover of the rust-colored smoke. The man Saitou brought down, Kujiranami, is half-mad and won't talk. They found out where his hideout was from the three that were arrested, but it was already empty when they raided it. In the end ... while I was out of it, everything...

(A man rushes up.)

Man: Sano, he's here. We found Himura.

Sanosuke: Kenshin--where is he?

Megumi: I could at least look at his wounds--

Man: Wait--the women and children had better stay here. He's in Rakuminmura.

From the Bakumatsu to the Meiji Era--Change in the era brought about change in people's lives. And the new era couldn't bring about prosperity for everybody. There were those who betrayed the era. And those who were betrayed by the era. Cast aside by society, forgotten by the world, they were naturally drawn together. It became a settlement outside the lines, Rakuminmura. The last retreat from those who had thrown away their lives. (Rakuminmura is a ramshackle gathering of roughly-built huts, where malevolent shadows lurk. They find Kenshin sitting against a wall with glassy eyes, his sword sheathed and wrapped in a heavy chain.)

Yahiko: Ken...

Sanosuke: Let's go! Get up! We're going to kill Yukishiro Enishi! We're taking revenge for the girl! It won't bring her back, but I'm not letting him get away! This is not how it ends!

(Kenshin sits motionless. Sanosuke grabs him by his shirt and pulls him to his feet.)

Sanosuke: Kenshin! Answer me!

Kenshin (softly): No more ... I'm tired.

Sanosuke: You--

(He punches him.)

Megumi: Sanosuke?!

Sanosuke: You bastard!

(The inhabitants of Rakuminmura, rough men carrying makeshift weapons, appear behind him.)

Men: I don't know what brings you here, young'un ... We haven't known the new guy long, but he's one of us now. There are no laws here. "Take care of your own" is our only creed. If you still want to fight, you better be ready!

Sanosuke: So you lowlifes lick each other's wounds? I'll take you all down!

Megumi: Stop it, you idiot! Tsubame's here!

Tsubame: Kenshin...

(Slowly, Kenshin picks himself up and seats himself back as he was.)

Kenshin: No more ... I'm tired. Just let me sleep, here, where it's quiet...

After that no one could say a word. That day they each went home their separate ways. (Yahiko walks back alone over a bridge.)

Yahiko (thinking): I first met Kenshin and Kaoru on a cold day near the end of this bridge. On that day, my dream began. (tears appear in his eyes) But now--

(A voice behind him): Yahiko?

(He turns. Misao and Aoshi are walking towards him.)

Misao: I thought that was you. What are you doing here? (noticing his expression) What's wrong--did something happen?

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close