Himura_battousai
Chapter 205: A Dark Change & a Death

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Enishi: Though I bear you no ill-will, for the sake of my Earthly Justice I must take you victim here.

(Kaoru assumes a fighting stance.)

Enishi: You can try to string this out, but Battousai isn't coming. When he tried to fight, the outcome was clear. If you come quietly this will all be over soon.

Kaoru: I know I can't beat you, but I'm not going to just roll over and die. Kenshin told me that no matter how hard, he'd fight to the end to protect the present. So he'll be here as soon as he can, like always. As long as Kenshin won't give up, I can't either!

Enishi: I see. But it won't matter.

(He suddenly seems to disappear in the smoke.)

Enishi (behind her): This may be rough, but bear with me.

(He clamps a hand over her mouth.)

Kaoru (thinking): Ken--

Enishi: Give up.

Kaoru (thinking, the sword dropping from her hand): --shin...

(Kujiranami has Kenshin in his grip, smashing him against a wall.)

Kujiranami: Battousai--!

(Kenshin roars and forces his fingers apart. Kujiranami pulls back a fist for another blow.)

Sanosuke: Hold it!

(He punches him; Saitou hits Kujiranami with the Gatotsu. Under their combined assault Kujiranami goes down.)

Sanosuke: Kenshin, the white-hair's--

(Kenshin takes off running.)

Sanosuke: Hey!

(Kujiranami rises behind Saitou.)

Saitou: I see ... So his spirit is greater than his body as well.

Kujiranami: Battousai!

Saitou: Irreversibly so.

(Kenshin races towards the dojo.)

Kenshin (thinking): Miss Kaoru! Miss Kaoru!

(He rushes past Megumi.)

Megumi: Ken-san!

(Something pulls him up short.)

Kenshin (thinking): That scent ... That's...

Enishi (appearing out of the fog): White plum. For me, my sister's perfume. For you, now--

Kenshin: Enishi! What have you done with Miss Kaoru!

Enishi: The scent is your guide. Go and see. The answer you're looking for is there.

(Kenshin sprints past him.)

Kenshin (thinking): Miss Kaoru!

Enishi (thinking): Look well, with those eyes!

Kenshin (thinking): Miss Kaoru!

Enishi (thinking): Mourn! Wail! Repent! And then weep yourself to death!

Kenshin (thinking): Miss Kaoru!

(He runs into the dojo and then stops, transfixed. Sanosuke and Megumi catch up with him.)

Sanosuke: Kenshin!

Megumi: Ken-san! Ken...

(Kenshin drops his sword.)

Kenshin: What was the Hiten Mitsurugi school. (falling to his knees) What was Himura Kenshin ... Once again, I couldn't protect the one I truly loved... (tears forming) Miss ... Kaoru ... Kaoru.

(Kaoru is sitting slumped against the dojo wall, Enishi's sword through her heart and a cross scar scratched on her cheek.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close