Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 202: Consciousness of Crime and Punishment

Kaoru (echoing Saitou): Even before the fight, his spirit was stronger than his body ... Then the only way to defeat Yukishiro Enishi...

Saitou: So far they've just been trading blows, but that's what his opponent really is. It's only a matter of time before this fight becomes a deathmatch. The outcome will come down to life and death. The winner lives. The loser dies.

Sanosuke: You idiot ... if that would have settled it, Kenshin wouldn't have needed to fight him at all!

Saitou: Then there's only one thing to do...

Enishi: Well ... I'll refrain from delivering my earthly justice until I know you have enough strength to be worthy of destroying.

(He flips his sword, gripping it upside down such that the blade is running along the back of his arm.)

Enishi: Let's settle this. Hit me. With the technique that destroyed Gein's mechanical doll. The Hiten Mitsurugi succession technique, Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki.

(A pause.)

Kenshin: Forgive me, Enishi. Your feelings towards Tomoe are not wrong. And your hatred of me is not wrong. But the way you've lived your life for the past fifteen years--that's wrong. (He sheathes his sword.) I'll strike you down here.

(As they stare each other down, the force of their ki knocks shingles from the roof.)

Gein: Well then. It's about time I got things ready for Earthly Justice.

(Meanwhile, Kujiranami is regaining consciousness.)

Kujiranami: ... sai. Battousai!

Saitou: That's an unfamiliar stance ... He just asked for the succession technique, so he must have something to counter it.

Sanosuke: Doesn't matter. The Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki never fails. It's taken down everyone he's used it on so far. Kenshin has a lot of faith in it. It doesn't matter what he's up against.

Kaoru: But--

(Megumi glances at her; she is pale and trembling.)

Megumi: H-hey, are you all right? Even your lips are pale!

Kaoru: But--

(The combatants have not yet moved a muscle.)

Megumi (thinking): But ... this man has seen Ken-san's abilities, and doesn't show the slightest doubt that he will win...

Sanosuke (thinking): I don't think he's better than Shishio ... but there's something strange about him.

Kaoru (thinking): What Yukishiro Enishi has is consciousness of punishment in taking revenge for his sister ... But what Kenshin has is consciousness of his crime in killing Tomoe. Kenshin said going into this that he'd found his answer of how to atone, but ... if he hadn't found that answer, this fight would be...

Enishi (thinking): Tomoe...

(The vision of Tomoe appears before him, smiling as always.)

Enishi: Tomoe ... As long as my sister is smiling down on me, I'm stronger than anyone and anything. Tell me, Battousai. The Tomoe inside you, is she smiling now?

Kenshin: She's not, but ... I believe that when this fight is over, she'll smile for me then. Let's go.

Hiten Mitsurugi school succession technique Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki!

Watoujutsu Zetsugi Kofuku Zettousei!

(Enishi slides into a low stance, avoiding Kenshin's blow.)

Kaoru: He dodged!

Megumi: He'll be killed!

Saitou: No, it starts here.

Sanosuke: The ultimate second attack!

(Kenshin and Enishi both drive forward for the finishing blow.)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close