Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 198: The Fated Duel

Sanosuke: We got all five, just like you wanted! Now it's your turn! Come on down from there!

(There is seemingly no response.)

Kaoru: He's not doing anything...

Megumi: It's because he's so high up. It'll take some time to release the gas in the balloon and come down.

Kenshin (thinking): Enishi...

(Sanosuke turns on Saitou.)

Sanosuke: Hey. Now that we have a minute, I want a word. From now on this is their fight. It doesn't mean anything if they don't settle it themselves. So no matter what happens, no one's going to interfere.

Saitou: You should listen when people talk. As I said before, someone who lives only for their own fight without thinking of the consequences doesn't deserve my Aku Soku Zan. I act for my own justice alone. My objective is to find those who are plotting rebellion. First, I want to know who the arms dealer Yukishiro Enishi's clients are. Yukishiro himself is only secondary. As long as he doesn't try to run, I don't care what he does. Unless my subordinate fails to obtain the list, he's free to fight or take revenge or whatever he pleases...

(Meanwhile, Chou is ransacking the mansion in Yokohama. He rifles through some papers on a desk, turning up a silly ad for a traveling performer.)

Chou: No, no. I was lucky to get here while everybody's gone, but there's nothing on the first or second floors. Guess that just leaves the basement...

(Back at the dojo.)

Megumi: It's moving! He's coming down...

Sanosuke: Bout time.

Kenshin (thinking): Enishi...

(Tomoe's face, expressionless, appears before him.)

Kenshin (thinking): Tomoe ... Now, I'll fight ... To protect the present. (aloud) Miss Kaoru. My sword.

Kaoru: Right. Here.

(She hands him the reverse blade.)

Kaoru: Um. Kenshin ... Whatever hardships or horrible things may have happened in this new era, I really hope ... we can all be happy.

(Kenshin smiles.)

Kenshin: The new era has only just begun.

Sanosuke: All right! Let's settle this thing!

Megumi (brandishing her medicine chest): No matter what happens, I'll fix you up!

Sanosuke (to Saitou): Hey, you say something too!

Megumi: Yeah, at least something!

Saitou (lighting a cigarette): What? Well, try hard.

(Sanosuke and Megumi scowl.)

Yahiko (weakly): Don't ... lose. If you lose ... I'll beat you up.

Kenshin: You just get some rest. You'll be training tomorrow like always.

(The balloon touches down and Enishi alights from the basket. Gein is pulling himself out of the ruined Iwanbou.)

Gein: Ow ow ow ... Sheesh.

Enishi: You put on quite a show. Are you all right?

Gein: Yeah, I was all right inside. No need to worry.

Enishi: I'm relieved to hear it. Then we can achieve our perfect earthly justice.

(Chou enters the basement, instantly covering his nose against the smell.)

Chou: What is this...

(The room is filled with specimen jars, hooks, bloodstained instruments, and a small desk covered with papers.)

Chou: Looks like a laboratory ... or a slaughterhouse ... Guy who owns this must be some kinda freak. No need to look too close. Just one quick glance and goodbye-- (he picks up some of the papers.) Hm? What the--

(Enishi and Kenshin stand face to face; the form of Tomoe seems to stand between them.)

Enishi: There's no need to ask you again. You're no longer unsure about whether to fight.

Kenshin: No ... I'll fight with all my strength. I'll find my answer of how to atone for the sins of the Hitokiri, and for killing Tomoe.

Enishi: If that's your answer, then it's exactly as I foresaw. I chose the cruelest form of revenge for you.

(The others are watching from off to the side.)

Kaoru (thinking): Kenshin...

Megumi: What are they saying?

Sanosuke: Dunno. I can't really hear them.

Enishi: First, Battousai, I'll let you taste some pain. Pain like the pain that ripped my sister apart. Now, my perfect Earthly Justice begins--

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close