Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 186: Mechanical Artist

The battle has split into three parts:

Banjin vs. Sanosuke

Otowa vs. Yahiko

and--

Gein vs. Kenshin.

Gein: Playing with toys ... People often say that. But no one ever says it twice. The first time is their last! Let's go, Battousai!

(He jumps through the mouth into the cockpit. Gears turn and Iwanbou springs to the attack. Kenshin dodges one blow and springs off another to hit his arm.)

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuukansen!

(The sword stretches the rubbery skin but can't penetrate it.)

Kaoru: Kenshin! Those blows won't work! The thick skin just absorbs the shock!

Gein: Shock absorption mechanism. And there's one more thing.

(Iwanbou's arm twists backwards to grab Kenshin and smash him into the ground.)

Kaoru: Kenshin!

Gein: All of the joints rotate freely on the vertical and horizontal axis. The free-joint mechanism! No matter how many you've beaten, this is the first time you've fought one that isn't human!

Kenshin: Not human ... That's true. So I need show no mercy... (He flips the reverse blade around.) First, I'll destroy this doll!

Gein: A sharp-edged blow ... Of course. However--

(The mechanism inside Iwanbou's arm separates at the elbow. Kenshin's blow hits only rubber skin, which stretches like a rubber band and rebounds unharmed.)

Gein: Only the rubber surface, processed for maximum ductility, and the steel control wires are left. Since the mechanics themselves are already detached, Battousai himself could not sever them! This is the free-detachability mechanism. A new feature added to the Sangou Iwanbou in anticipation of facing you.

Kenshin: ... Who are you?

Gein: I? You're right. I haven't yet given my name. I am Gein. Gein the Mechanical Artist! The last descendant of a line of puppet masters that have refined the arts of construction and mechanics since the middle ages!

Megumi: A mechanical...

Kaoru: Artist...

Kenshin: For someone who calls himself an artist, you don't seem to have much taste.

Megumi: That's for sure. (Leave it to Ken-san.)

Kaoru: (He's so blunt.)

Gein: People often say that. But there are many kinds of beauty. This Iwanbou is not my pursuit of beauty as an artist. The piece of perfected construction is of a far different kind of beauty--in short, as a mechanical master, this is my pursuit of functional beauty!

Kenshin: You call it functional beauty, but it's a great technology. Surely this technology could be put to better use, to serve people...

Gein: People often say that too. But does a master swordsmith make a shaving razor? Does a great builder of fortresses build a housing project? The cutting edge of technology is always found in warfare. In the course of my research, I am always by the side of one who smells of battle. First Shishio Makoto. Then Yukishiro Enishi. And now you. Himura Battousai.

Megumi: Then that's--

Kaoru: That's why he's fighting Kenshin--

Kenshin: Throughout all my past, I can't remember fighting a mechanics master or an artist. So I really don't have the time to play with toys!

(He leaps forward.)

Hiten Mitsurugi--

Gein: A match of speed, to cut it before the mechanism has time to disengage? But I've had some experience in operating mechanics!

Ryuushousen!

(The parts separate, and Kenshin's upwards blow only stretches the rubber out.)

Megumi: No good! An instant too late.

(Kenshin twists the blade, wrapping the skin around it, and pulls. The skin bursts apart.)

Kaoru: That's it! If he twisted the blade when the skin stretched out at its farthest, no matter how strong it was, it would have to break!

Kenshin: I've had enough of you watching from on high--why don't you come down, Enishi?

(Enishi only smiles.)

Gein: You twisted it ... I see. I knew Battousai would be awkward to deal with ... Even though we're just playing with dolls, Battousai, you're fighting me!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close