Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 185: The Tides of the Battle

Banjin (punching Sanosuke again): Ha--ha!

Otowa (to Kenshin): Protecting them when you have to fight will be difficult, don't you think?

Megumi: Sanosuke...

Kaoru: Kenshin.

Enishi: Action and calm in a state of deadlock. The course he chooses now will determine the state of the battle. Well, I leave this to you, Mr. Gein.

(Gein cuts the rope suspending his box from the balloon. It hits the ground and bursts.)

Gein: Well, it's my turn. I and my Sangou Iwanbou Moushuu-gata!

(The dust clears to reveal Gein sitting on the shoulder of a revamped Iwanbou--this one is muscular, with oversized arms and legs and a vaguely reptilian face.)

Kaoru: That's the one from the Aoiya--

Yahiko: Iwanbou! He looks a lot more sinister now!

Megumi: This isn't good ... We were already in a two-on-two deadlock. With another one, the man with the cannon will have time to recover...

Mumyoui: That's what Gein was building in the basement... (looking up sharply) Right?

Banjin: All I know's Gein's got us something cool! He's not going to let you stand around any more! We're gonna kick some serious ass--

(He suddenly notices Sanosuke's foot about an inch from his face. Sanosuke gives him a solid kick.)

Sanosuke: You let me have that one? I didn't think you were that far ahead!

Banjin: Bastard!

Sanosuke: One kick and your nose is bleeding! You're as soft as I thought!

Banjin: You're the one whose face is all bloody! Dammit!

Otowa: Well, as the battle to be the strongest fool rages on ... You have no choice but to act. What will you do? Well? Well? Well!

Yahiko: Kenshin...

(Kenshin briefly looks him right in the eye, before turning back.)

Kaoru: Yahiko, what is it?

Yahiko: Just now ... Kenshin looked at me.

Kaoru: Really? I wouldn't have thought Kenshin would show an opening by turning around in the middle of a fight...

Yahiko: I must have been mistaken. (thinking) Was I?

Otowa: What's wrong, Battousai! You don't have time to stand and think this over!

Kenshin: I know. Let's go.

(He charges forward. Otowa panics and can't do anything but raise his arms to block. However, Kenshin's swing doesn't seem to connect.)

Megumi: He missed!

Otowa: I see ... You planned to take me out in a sudden attack and move on to Gein. But you failed completely! The price will be high--

(Yahiko runs forward to challenge him.)

Kaoru: Yahiko?!

Otowa (raising the crossbow): Ha! You thought a child would be a fit opponent for me? Die!

(The crossbow holster, neatly sliced in half, falls off his wrist. Yahiko smashes him with his shinai.)

Yahiko: Same to you! You thought someone so oblivious they didn't even know their own weapon had been cut off could be a fit opponent for Kenshin?

Kaoru: Kenshin's ... Kenshin's giving the field to Yahiko?

(Kenshin runs forward to engage Gein.)

Yahiko (thinking): I still have a long way to go before I can measure up to him--but now, I'll defend this place to the death. (aloud) Get up! Now you're fighting me! (thinking) The first battle I've been entrusted with!

Otowa: Boy--!

Enishi: Hm ... You made your choice. That's a healthy little brat you've got. You always did like kids. But you chose wrong. You were fooled by Otowa's disposition and underestimated his real ability. And you won't defeat Gein and his Iwanbou so easily. (thinking) The brat will die! And you won't escape unscathed!

Gein: I'm tired of waiting, Battousai. Let's begin ... This is my Sangou Iwanbou. I call it the Moushuu model. It's the first time he's seen combat, so I'd like you to test his abilities.

Kenshin: Unfortunately, tonight I'm waiting for the one above you. I have no time to play with toys!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close