Himura_battousai
Chapter 181: Confession (End)

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Kenshin and Kaoru are walking back through town as the sun sets.)

Kenshin: So Miss Tsubame told you. I'm sorry to have worried you.

Kaoru: I'm sorry I interrupted.

Kenshin: You don't need to apologize. I was about ready to go back anyway.

(A little pause)

Kaoru: Um, Ken--

Kenshin (catching sight of three kids eating noodles at a stand across the way): Whose students are those?

Kaoru: Oh, that's the Shibata-school Jouetsukan uniform. I do outside training there four or five times a year.

Kenshin: They certainly look cheerful.

Kaoru: They shouldn't be blowing their pocket money on food like that. (yelling) Hey! You shouldn't eat out on your way home from training!

(They see her and wave.)

Kids: Hey, Kaoru! When are you going to come train again? Everyone's waiting for you!

Kenshin: You must be popular there.

Kids: Hey, look at the guy with her. He's got a sword! Red hair and a cross scar--can't be. It's Himura Kenshin from the Kamiya dojo! This is the first time I've seen him! He's shorter than I thought!

Kaoru: Now who's popular?

Kenshin: Oro?

Kaoru: You didn't know? You're pretty famous around here. Kids will always look up to someone who's strong.

Kenshin: I suppose so...

Kaoru: Kenshin, you told me before that a sword is a weapon, and kenjutsu is the art of killing, but that you liked the naive joke that a sword could protect life better than reality. Lately, when I see Yahiko or these kids, I think that now the 'art' of kenjutsu is becoming a 'way, ' the new age has really come ... Then we'll be at peace, and that naive joke really will be reality. And then, if we can all stay together, things could be all right.

Kenshin: Yes ... But it's impossible.

Kaoru: What?

Kenshin (walking on): Times change. Even kenjutsu will change. But people don't change. That doesn't happen. In the half-year that he's been learning kenjutsu, Yahiko's been growing up with amazing speed. He'll become a praiseworthy swordsman, and pass through the gates of the dojo into the Meiji era. Sanosuke's been living there with everyone, but he's a man of such caliber that this town won't hold him long. In the not-too-distant future, he'll set out into the wide world. Miss Megumi will return to Aizu to look for her family. And she'll use her excellent medical skills to help the injured and sick. The others are the same ... They all walk their own paths, live their own lives. A journey without farewells, a beginning without end. It's a little lonely, but that's how it is.

Kaoru: But ... I want to stay with you.

(Kenshin turns to look at her in surprise. Kaoru can hear her heart beating faster.)

Kenshin: I--

Kaoru: S-sorry! That was nothing! Forget it! We're going to need all our strength for tomorrow. We'd better get back. I'm sure everyone's worried about--

(He puts an arm around her shoulder.)

Kenshin: Do you remember? When we came back from Kyoto, and I said, "I'm home"? That was the first time I'd said those words ever since I began a vagabond.

Kaoru: Really?

Kenshin: Yes...

(They watch the sun set.)

(Later that night. Saitou is finishing the broth of his bowl of noodles at a small stand.)

Chou: Found you! Telling me to meet you at a soba place is fine, but you gotta say where! I spent the last week going to every soba shop in town and now I find you at a roadside stall!

Saitou: Who are you?

Chou: Chou of the Ten Swords!!

Saitou: Oh, that's right.

Chou: I'm one of your own cops, dammit! Man, you really tick me off. Can we get out of here?

Saitou (standing up and putting some coins on the counter): Here you are.

Shopkeeper: Come again.

Chou: And, you said once I find this guy I can't kill him.

Saitou: Of course not. Killing is my job.

Chou: (Is this guy really a cop?)

Saitou: Don't just stand there. Tell me what you found out. We're dealing with the gravest aspect of the Shishio case. Finding the arms dealer that sold him the battleship Rengoku.

Chou: It took me some time, but I found 'em. (handing him some photographs) Here's their Japan headquarters. But it turns out the boss is out on a personal job.

Saitou: A personal job.

Chou: I couldn't get all the details, but Battousai's name came up.

Saitou: So our reunion will be sooner than I thought.

Chou: So who are we goin' after? The boss? Or Battousai?

Saitou: Yes...

The time for the players to gather is drawing near ... The day of the battle has arrived!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close