Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 179: A Ray of Hope

A long day dawns...

Enishi: Nine more days...

(He is standing on the upstairs stairwell, as Gein comes in the front hallway.)

Gein: You're up early.

Enishi: Mr. Gein. Where were you, dressed like that so early in the morning?

(Gein is carrying shovels, pickaxes, and two wooden boxes. Out of one trails strands of human hair.)

Gein: I ran out of materials. I had to go out for some more. I found some good stuff. With this I can probably finish a day or two early.

Enishi: That's encouraging. But don't rush yourself. We'll attack as planned, in nine days. So that Battousai can suffer fully. (thinking) He stole my sister's happiness. He stole my sister's life. And he stole my sister from me. Suffer, Battousai. Your suffering is my only joy!

Gein (thinking): This man won't be stopped...

(Kenshin walks to the well and pours water over his face.)

Kenshin (thinking): Nine more days. I can't avoid this fight. But...

(Kaoru comes walking through the yard. Their eyes meet for a moment. Then Kaoru smiles.)

Kaoru: Good morning. Although, it's actually lunchtime. There are a lot of us, so I thought we'd eat in the dojo.

Kenshin: I ... since yesterday, I haven't been very hungry, so--

Megumi: Uh-uh, Ken-san. If you don't eat at least a little, you'll be exhausted later.

Kaoru: I'll go get a fresh towel. Wipe your face and come eat.

(In front of the dojo, Yahiko is practicing hard, while Sanosuke dozes on the porch.)

Yahiko: FIVE THOUSAND! That's it! I'm halfway there!

Kaoru: You finished half your exercises?

Yahiko: Yeah!

Kaoru: Not bad! Since you're trying so hard, I'll let you do just seven thousand more.

Yahiko: Seven thousand to go! Wait--that's more!

Kaoru: Well, let's eat.

Tsubame (thinking): That's so mean...

Kaoru: Hey, Sanosuke, wake up. Food, Sanosuke! Wake up! Don't you want some of the miso soup I made?

Megumi: Allow me.

(She takes a ladleful of soup, pinches Sanosuke's nose until he opens his mouth, then pours it in. Sanosuke, waking up all at once, spits it out.)

Sanosuke: Who was that?! Someone tried to poison me!

Kaoru: Sanosuke! Megumi!!

(A little later. They are all seated in the dojo.)

Sanosuke: Man, that really scared me. I thought you were giving me wolfsbane.

Kaoru: That's enough.

Yahiko: Let's eat! (he wolfs his bowl of rice and holds it out.) More! More! More! Mo--

Kaoru (pushing the lid into his face): Settle down. (Eat this.)

Tsubame: That's amazing, how much he's eating.

Megumi: They say appetite is the basis of health. I don't think we need to worry about Yahiko.

Kenshin (thinking): ... The ordinary fuss. The smell of an unchanged life ... That's right. Don't get caught up in the past. Now I can only fight ... I'll protect the present. I'll fight for that.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close