Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 164: Remembrances 2--Battousai is Born

Heaven's Justice!

(Battousai kills, again and again, under that motto.)

(At an inn in Kyoto. Battousai is washing his hands in a basin.)

Battousai (thinking): The smell of blood ... it won't come off.

Iizuka (coming in): Oh, Battousai, there you are. Come quick. Master Katsura's waiting.

Katsura Kogorou--The young leader of the Choushuu Ishin Shishi, active as the leader of a substantial province. Later joined with Saigou Takamori and Satchou Doumei to bring about the downfall of the shogunate. One of the Ishin Triumvirate. Katsura: It's been a while since we've been able to meet. Are you doing well?

Battousai: Yes ... I'm doing them in very well.

Iizuka: Hey, watch it.

Battousai: What is my assignment tonight? Katsura: Well, it's not so important I'd call it an assignment...

Battousai: If it's not important, please refrain from calling me.

Iizuka: Hey!

Battousai: I've assassinated almost a hundred people these past six months. No matter how we hide ourselves, the shogunate is beginning to sense we're here. It isn't a good plan for me to be near the Choushuu Hantei. The Bakufu forces are growing stronger day by day. Especially the wolves in Mibu...

Katsura: The Shinsengumi...

Battousai: We haven't yet crossed swords, but they could be the strongest of the Bakufu's weapons...

Guy: What could that ragtag crowd possibly--

Katsura: I understand. We'll look out for them.

Iizuka: Well, about that assignment.

Katsura: Actually, tonight, during the Gion Festival, there's to be a secret council held at a certain inn. Mr. Toshiwara and Miyabe are expected to attend.

Battousai: You need a bodyguard?

Katsura: Well, no. I was wondering if you would join us.

Iizuka: That's great! What an honor! Hey, your name could go down in history--

Battousai: I decline. It's easier if a Hitokiri keeps to the shadows as far as possible. And I'm not interested in history or honor. If we achieve a new age in which all can live at peace, that's enough.

(He turns and leaves.)

Iizuka: It's no good. Maybe he's killed too many, but lately he's been acting strange. I thought maybe he'd show some interest if we dangled the bait right in front of his eyes...

Guy: Bait? Master Katsura's come all this way--

Iizuka: Call it what you want.

Katsura: Iizuka's right. But I saw one thing here. He may act strangely, but his heart hasn't changed since I met him a year ago--

(Flashback: one year ago in Choushuu. A group of armed men are gathered, waiting their turn to show their skills. Katsura and another man, Takasugi, are a little ways off on a hill.)

Katsura: I came all the way from Kyoto because you said you had something to show me. What is this, Shinsaku?

Takasugi: You'll see. This is the strength of the new era. The Kiheitai!

Takasugi Shinsaku--Essentially the second in command in Choushuu. A battle-loving man from the most active of the Choushuu factions, he succeeded in unifying the province in forming the Kiheitai to topple the Bakufu. Takasugi: Birth or status means nothing! Anyone can join my Kiheitai if they have the ambition and the strength.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close