Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 161: Overture to a Death

Enishi: What's wrong, Battousai? Can you see her too? (He laughs.) That's right. She's always with me. Now, always and forever. But, Battousai--(suddenly looking very angry) You don't have the right to see my sister's phantom!

Kenshin: Yukishiro ... Enishi ... You're behind all this.

Enishi: So you didn't know. The last time I saw you was in the middle of the Battle of Toshifushimi. Has it been eleven years already?

Kenshin: You--where--

Enishi: Where have I been all this time? I was in Shanghai. I didn't want to live in the new Japan you Ishin Shishi made. Shanghai, that demon city of the Orient, the whirlpool of riches and greed both East and West. After the Boshin War, after I lost my sister, my family was scattered. For a kid driven out of Japan to survive in Shanghai meant coming out on top of the fiercest competition. I drank from mud puddles, I ate dead flesh. I was always getting sick, always just about to die.

Kenshin: ... That's enough. Don't tell me anymore.

Enishi: You'll listen to this. This is the only thing I have to thank you for. Yes ... I was always close to death, but I survived. My revenge ... To avenge my sister's death was the only thing in my heart. Ten years of that ... I lived in Shanghai so long I almost forgot how to speak Japanese. I made it to the top. The top of the Shanghai mafia, controlling an entire continent of illicit arms manufacturers.

(He draws a fancy engraved pistol and levels it almost playfully at Kenshin.)

Enishi: Kujiranami's Armstrong cannon! Otowa's assassin's tools! Banjin's special-issue tekkou! Gein's ammunitions! All supplied by my organization! And Shishio Makoto, his battleship? I arranged for that as well.

(Six shots ring out. Six holes smoke at Kenshin's feet.)

Enishi: But that was a mistake ... I hardly expected you and Shishio to meet head-on. I'm so glad you survived.

Kenshin: I understand, Enishi ... You want revenge for your sister's death. That's perfectly natural. I can't deny your right to justice. But one thing! Don't hurt anyone else who's not involved in this! Your revenge is against me alone. Only I should accept your punishment.

Enishi: No. My revenge isn't for you alone. It's your everything! Those you hold dear, those you speak with. The whole of Japan, that you built with your bloody sword. A Japan without my sister. That's the only thing that could equal your crime.

Kenshin: No! Enishi, I'm the only one who committed the crime. I'm the only one who should be punished! If you keep this up, it won't be revenge, it'll be slaughter! Even if Tomoe would have wanted revenge, she wouldn't have wanted this!

(Enishi hurls the pistol at him; it strikes him across the forehead.)

Enishi: How dare you speak of her! What do you know about what she wants!

(Kenshin bows his head. Enishi bites the side of his lip in rage.)

Enishi: Try saying her name one more time! Try it and ten Rengoku-class battleships turn Tokyo into a sea of flame!

(Kenshin remains silent. Enishi spits blood.)

Enishi: But ... my sister wouldn't have liked all that uproar. She loved the quiet. That's why I picked only those who hated you as I do. I kept my force to six, and targeted only those who had direct contact with you. If you have any complaints, I'd be only too happy to make it all of Tokyo! I'm done here. Today was my declaration of war. The true battle will be ten days from now.

Kenshin: Ten days!

Enishi: Yes. The place will be the Kamiya dojo. There you will see our perfect Earthly Justice. I hope you look forward to it. I won't be relying on my mafia weapons. I'll show you my other strength.

(He turns and walks away, laughing.)

Kenshin: Enishi! Isn't there anything else--anything but fighting--is there no way I can atone for the crime of stealing your sister? What should I do? Answer me, Enishi!

Enishi: For someone who can't let go of an idea, you're very slow to catch on ... What should you do? If I have to answer ... you can suffer.

(He continues on his way. In his eyes, Tomoe's phantom appears, a faint smile across her lips.)

Enishi: Tomoe. Hold on, okay? It's only ten days. What? It's too long? I'm sorry. We have to get some things ready. That's right. But we will have our revenge.

(Kenshin remains where Enishi left him, his fists clenched.)

Kenshin (thinking): Enishi ... Tomoe!

Unable to find the answer of how to atone for a Hitokiri's sins, ten days from now, Kenshin will face Enishi. But that answer, in the heat of battle, would take a far crueller form than anyone could guess--

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close