Himura_battousai
Chapter 156: The Twin Storms Rage!

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Eleven o'clock that night--

(All is quiet in the Kamiya household except for the tick of a clock. Kaoru and Yahiko sleep; Kenshin seems to doze sitting up in the dojo.)

(A figure appears at the gate; Kenshin is instantly alert.)

Kenshin (thinking): They're here!

(Kaoru and Yahiko join Kenshin rushing out to the gate.)

Yahiko: Kenshin!

Kaoru: What was that noise?

Kenshin: Sh. (to the man on the other side of the gate.) Stop right there. Back away slowly.

Voice: Please ... open the gate ... If you don't, the Maekawa dojo will be...

(It's a man from the dojo. Beaten and bloody, he slumps against the fence.)

Yahiko: What happened? Someone challenged the dojo?

Man: No ... this man ... meant to kill from the start. I ran ... the police can't help ... If this goes on, he'll kill them all...

Kaoru: Kenshin--

Yahiko: I'm coming too--

Kenshin: Stay here!

(He says it so fiercely that Yahiko is shocked into silence.)

Kenshin: I'll be back by morning! Bar the door and keep watch!

Kaoru: All right. (thinking) First the Akabeko, now the Maekawa dojo ... This is no coincidence. Someone is going after us!

(Fists clenched, Yahiko watches Kenshin disappear into the night.)

Kenshin (thinking): The Maekawa dojo! I was only there once, that time with Raijuuta when Miss Kaoru and Yahiko were training. If they struck there, they've been checking up on me more thoroughly than I thought...

Sanosuke: Hey, Kenshin!

(He sees Sanosuke rounding a corner with some policemen.)

Kenshin: You were keeping watch on the Oguni clinic!

Sanosuke: There's no time for that. Injured started coming in from the Maekawa dojo.

Officer: Are you Mr. Himura? We've heard about you from Chief Uramura.

Officer 2: Thank God you're here. Without the chief we're on our own here. We need your help!

Kenshin: He isn't here? Why?

Officer: There was an emergency at his own home.

(At Chief Uramura's house, his wife and daughter are crouched next to a beaten-up police officer.)

Wife: Dear!

Daughter: Father!

(His saber abandoned, Uramura has his gun trained on Otowa.)

Uramura: Stay back! Don't move! Put down your weapon! If you don't I will shoot you here and now!

Otowa (raising a hand): You fool. Do you think I kill with a weapon you can see? OM!

(He opens his hand, revealing an om tattoo. Uramura hestitates.)

Kenshin: I'm going to the chief's house! Sano, take care of the dojo! (thinking, as he runs) I underestimated them ... This is no mere grudge. This is revenge so crazed, they'll strike at any place with the remotest of connections to me. If this keeps up all of Tokyo will be consumed by the storm. Chief ... let me be in time!

(The chief's gun explodes; pieces of shrapnel strike him.)

Uramura (thinking): That's crazy ... how on earth...

Otowa: Just as I thought ... This feeling is--

Inui: --Ecstasy!

(Inui stands in the middle of the dojo, surrounded by felled students. His wristguards are dripping blood. A ring of policemen stand around him, keeping their distance.)

(Maekawa is on his back, gasping for breath. Inui stomps on his chest.)

Inui (to the police); What's the matter, can't you fight? I can still take you on! You aren't gonna catch me just by standing there! Ha--ha!

Sanosuke (pulling the door open): Sounds great!

Inui: What?

Sanosuke: You're fighting me now, you speckled bastard!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close