Himura_battousai
Chapter 119: The Time to Awaken is Now

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Kenshin: Hanya. Shikijou. Beshimi. Hyottoko. They made your heart weak! It's not for them, it's because of them you're wielding the sword of a murderer!

Aoshi: Sh--shut up!

(He backhands Kenshin with the butt of his sword.)

Kenshin: Taking me seriously and denying it, isn't that proof that you yourself know it to be true?

(Aoshi hits him with the other sword.)

Aoshi: What the hell do you know!

Kenshin: I don't know much, but I know that because of your goal of winning the title of strongest, your true self lies dormant. You're running from reality.

(Aoshi kicks him, and he flies back into the wall.)

Kenshin: By doing this, if you stop thinking, you can blot out your guilt over their deaths. I know all that, but no matter what you do, they're not coming back.

(Aoshi punches him again, his eyes wild.)

Sanosuke (thinking): It's working. The pain of having your heart hollowed out by jeers, and the pain of having to jeer a man you refuse to recognize as your enemy ... It's more painful for both of them than when they were hitting each other.

Kenshin: Aoshi, you ... no, your weakness, is making it all their fault. You're making them into evil spirits haunting your soul.

(Aoshi raises a sword to strike. Kenshin catches it in his bare hand. Blood runs down to the floor as they stare at each other.)

Kenshin: Did you know this, Aoshi? Miss Misao has named herself Okashira of the Oniwabanshuu. After you fought with Okina, she took on the responsibilities of the Okashira in your place to protect Kyoto and the Oniwabanshuu.

Aoshi: ... Misao is a strong girl. I don't think she should have anything to do with the Oniwabanshuu, but she'll do fine on her own.

Kenshin: Then did you know that this strong girl wept when I promised to bring you back? No matter how strong she is, she's only sixteen. She must have been desperate, in the midst of a harsh reality. There's no one else in the world who can honestly answer for those tears. Or are you still trying to run away from reality, Aoshi! Are you going to pretend you have to prove you're the strongest for those four so you can run away in death! Take back your strong heart! And call back your lost honor! The time that stopped at Kanryuu's mansion moves now! The time to awaken is now!

(They pause for a long moment. Then Aoshi punches Kenshin in the stomach with his free hand. Kenshin staggers back and Sanosuke steadies him.)

Kenshin: ... Aoshi...

Aoshi: ... But I can't finish this without settling our fight.

Kenshin (almost smiling): Settling fights is nothing new to me.

Sanosuke: It's no good, Kenshin. His eyes are different.

Kenshin: I see it too, for the first time. As they were before Kanryuu-- (thinking) This is the one who Okina recognized, who the four honored, who Miss Misao adored. Shinomori Aoshi!

Aoshi: Win or lose, there will be no grudge.

Kenshin: Yes. This is our last fight. But one that will take all our strength!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close