Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 112: Advance Move

(Sanosuke throws his jacket over his shoulder and walks back towards the others--and falls over.)

Kenshin (applying Megumi's salve to his hand): Are you all right?

Sanosuke: Ow ow ow.

Saitou: It's your own fault. You're the one that ignored my advice and neglected your defense. Well, there's seven of the Ten Swords left. And there's only two of us.

Sanosuke: WHAT??

Saitou: You think you can still fight? Especially with that right hand. The Sanjuu no Kiwami on top of repeated Futae no Kiwami have jarred the bones. If you're hurt you're only going to get in the way. You should turn back here.

Sanosuke (raising a fist in defiance): You must be joking. To come this far and turn back without even getting a look at Shishio's face? (remembering it's his right fist he's clenching) Owwwwwwww.

Kenshin: ... Lately, Sano, you've been just a little too dense. Well, the bleeding's stopped for now. Let's get that hand bandaged.

Sanosuke (taking the jar of medicine): Lemme borrow this a sec. Anji!

(Anji has not moved, still on his knees, head bowed.)

Kenshin: Even Megumi's medicine can't heal those wounds. (Sanosuke starts forward) Sano.

Sanosuke: Anji. Wanting to save the weak and oppressed isn't wrong. It was only your way of doing it. You can fix your mistakes. Just not as the Bright King this time. Go back to being the kind priest and save the world. You can save with kindness. It's not weak ... You knew that ten years ago. You should have been saving the kindness of the man you were just before the children of that tablet ... died. For their sake, don't end it here.

(He turns to go.)

Anji: Even now it might not be too late. Turn back now.

(Everyone turns in surprise.)

Anji: The only Ten Swords ahead of you are Soujirou, Usui and Houji. The others have already left to massacre those at the Aoiya.

Kenshin: Shishio.

Yumi: Don't get the wrong idea! This is Houji's plan. Lord Shishio had nothing to do with it!

Sanosuke (pushing her aside): Who cares who it was? Come on, we're going back!

Yumi: You can't. I'm the only one who knows the way out. You can go back if you want, but one false step and you'll all die together.

Sanosuke: Damn you! Kenshin--

Kenshin: ... We'll have to keep faith that the others can take care of themselves and hurry forward. It'll be quicker than trying to find our way through the maze...

(As they walk on)

Kenshin (thinking): Master ... please be in time.

(Shishio's masked soldiers march in on the Aoiya. Okon bursts inside.)

Okon: This doesn't look good! We're completely surrounded! My count's around a hundred and fifty!

Okina: So Himura was right.

Misao: All right, this is it!

Kaoru: We're fighting to protect ourselves, not destroy the enemy. Got that everyone?

Misao: Of course! No one's gonna die while I'm Okashira!

Yahiko: A hundred and fifty? If the old guy's not fighting, that's twenty apiece.

Kamatari (from outside): You're a little off, boy.

(He, Henya and Iwanbou stand in front of the army.)

Kamatari: These guys are just to keep you from running away. We're your opponents. So give it up and come on out!

(In Shishio's headquarters)

Yumi: We're here. This is the second room. Once you open this room, you can't turn b--

Kenshin: No need to speak further.

(He kicks the door in. The floor, wall and ceiling are painted with giant eyes. In the center of the room crouches Usui. He holds a short spear with a double-edged tip and a large ball at the base.)

Usui: Welcome. One, two ... three of you. So Anji couldn't even get one of you, eh? Well, no matter, no matter.

Kenshin (going into battle stance): I don't care about your big words. Are you getting out of the way or not? Hurry and decide.

Sanosuke: Hey, Ken--

(Saitou thwacks Kenshin out of the way.)

Sanosuke: --shin...

Saitou: It's good that you're angry, but don't rush it, fool. Haste will cause unnecessary strain and cut your strength in half. This one's mine. Hurry and get out of here.

Kenshin (surprised): Saitou.

Saitou: Go.

Kenshin (turning to go): Sorry about this.

Yumi: Hey, wait! You can't just--

Sanosuke (scooping her up and running after him): Shut up! You're coming too.

Yumi: Hey! Lord Shishio's the only man allowed to touch me!

Usui: Saitou Hajime. You're a nicer man than I thought.

Saitou: And your mind's eye isn't as good as I thought. Now that he's out of here he can't get in my way. And I'll be free to kill you.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close