Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 110: A World Hard to Save

Haibutsu Kishaku, the Anti-Buddhist Movement

In Keion 4 (the first year of Meiji), the Meiji government, in the name of accord between church and state, decreed that Shinto and Buddhism be separated to reduce Buddhism's influence. However, as this form of anti-Buddhism was embraced by the general public, it resulted in a storm of Buddhism oppression and the destruction of countless temples, altars and texts. It is known as the Haibutsu Kishaku. Now, this storm will rip through one man's soul-- Meiji 2 (1869) In distant, snowy Ezo (now Hokkaido) the war between the government and the shogunal army still rages. But this mountain village is already conquered and spring has come.

(A younger, thinner Anji and five children are working in the fields beside the Juuraku temple. One boy is holding the baby's toy just out of reach as the baby cries.)

Anji: Hey, Tasuke, please don't tease Gorou...

(The oldest girl bonks them both.)

Tsubaki: Tasuke! Quit teasing Gorou! Gorou, quit crying over nothing! Now go get back to work!

(They scurry off.)

Tsubaki: You too, Father! When you're angry, you have to harden your heart and get mad! You're way too nice to them...

Anji: I guess you're right ... But I'm not good at getting angry. I'm sorry.

Tsubaki: Well, I guess that's how you are.

Little girl: Tsuba--ki--!

Tsubaki: What is it now!

Little girl: There's a snake--!

Tsubaki: All right, leave this to me!

(Anji smiles.)

(One of three men at the gate): Anji. Anji, are you here?

Anji: Mr. Mayor?

(Later, inside.)

Anji: Leave the village?

Man: You've heard about the Haibutsu Kishaku. We met and decided to obey Meiji policy by tearing down the temple.

Anji: Wait a minute. It doesn't matter what happens to me, but what about the children? They lost their parents in the Boshin War. They don't have anywhere else to live...

Mayor: Of course they'll leave. They have to leave. Tsubaki's father, the old mayor, and his followers fought for the Bakufu. Our standing with the government is perilously low. (as he leaves, to his men) Luckily I have friends in the prefectural government. If we play our cards right it will mean riches for the village. The temple, the monk and his brats are just in our way!

(The children rush in.)

Girl: The temple's going to be knocked down?

Tasuke: They're kicking us out?

Tsubaki: I'm sorry, Father. This is my dad's fault.

Anji: Don't apologize. I know all your father wanted was to bring peace more quickly. There's nothing for you all to worry about. Cheer up. Your parents would want you to be happy. That's what I want too. We're not going to cause trouble for the village by staying here. What do you think about moving out and finding a new place to live? Where should we go?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close