Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 102: The Great Kyoto Fire (End)

Houji (to the soldiers): Don't panic! They're just hand grenades! Even if they hurt the outer shell they won't touch the interior!

(The grenades strike the hull, touching off an explosion that rocks the ship. Everyone is thrown to the floor; and the waves toss Sanosuke into the water.)

Sanosuke: Katsu, you son of a bitch. You made me take something that dangerous? (How was I supposed to use those for self-defense?) But, it turned out to be a pretty good present. All right! (swimming for the ship) Wait, Shishio Makoto! I'm coming to see the look on your face!

Houji: ... shit. (flipping open a speaking tube) Recover your balance! Report on damage to each sector!

Soldiers: The engine room's destroyed! The screw shaft is completely disabled! The stern's on fire and we can't hold it back! It's getting closer to the ammo store. It'll go up in ten minutes. The lower decks are flooded! We can't wait! Lord Houji, the order to evacuate! Lord Houji?

Houji: After all my work arming the Rengoku I can't believe you miserable little--you--you--

Shishio: It wasn't just him. He did the damage directly and unexpectedly. But Himura Battousai saw through my two-fold plan and found the location of the Rengoku. Saitou Hajime had the power of the police prepared beforehand through his judgment. Underestimating them was Shishio Makoto's greatest mistake! Losing Rengoku is a high price to pay for it, but I see now my first move should have been to bury you three.

Soujirou: Mr. Shishio. So we will finish what we started in Shingetsu?

Shishio: Yes ... But.

Soujirou: But?

Shishio: The place will be halfway up the northeast face of Mt. Hiei, Rokutsurane Torii Hokora. Our headquarters. There, no one will get in our way. You will engage only I and the Ten Swords!

Saitou: In other words, ten against three. I don't care about the odds, but wouldn't two against two be quicker? (pushing his sword out of its sheath) There's still time before the ship sinks.

(Kenshin pushes the sword back.)

Saitou: What are you doing.

Kenshin: Mt. Hiei, Rokutsurane Torii Hakora. I have it.

Soldier: Lord Shishio, evacuation is complete. Hurry!

Shishio: Battousai, both long ago and today, taking this country was too much a showy trick. But now it's a trick I honor by risking my life for. This time there will be no carelessness. Prepare yourself and come.

(As the ship sinks, Shishio and the others row away in a lifeboat. Saitou and Kenshin are in another.)

Kenshin: Probably all aboard were chosen from the faction for their loyalty. It's good that Shishio evacuated. If we had fought then, it would have been too late for everyone to evacuate and there would have been victims. It's best if there are no enemy casualties as well.

Saitou: You're as weak as ever. How can we beat Shishio like that?

Kenshin: Maybe. But at least no one unrelated has gotten dragged into the fight.

Saitou: So it all turned out the way you wanted.

(Sanosuke hauls himself into the boat.)

Sanosuke: Sagara Sanosuke arrives! Now where's Shishio Makoto!!

Kenshin (pointing at the retreating boat): Shishio's--

Saitou: Idiot.

(Sanosuke: Hey, you! Get back here!)

Kenshin: That's going too far. If Sanosuke hadn't sunk the ship we couldn't have come out so well.

(Sanosuke: Running away, eh?)

Kenshin: Sano's more reliable than you think.

Saitou: I'm well aware of that without your telling me. It doesn't change the fact that he's a fool.

(On shore.)

Sanosuke (gazing out to Kyoto): It looks safe enough out there.

Kenshin: There don't seem to be any fires, but we couldn't tell from here.

Saitou: Well, the great fire should be averted. The first battle is ours.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close