Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 100: The Great Kyoto Fire (Beginning)

Houji: It's time.

(Anji, Kamatari, Usui, Iwanbou, Henya and Saitsuchi watch the city.)

Saitsuchi: They're late! The fire isn't set yet?

Kamatari: Don't be so impatient. It isn't easy to set a huge fire like that.

Soldiers (rushing up behind them): Message! Police have been stationed all over the city. The first unit can't move out as planned! Same with the second unit! Message from the third!

Kamatari: You guys aren't much good in a crisis, are you.

Usui: No use. We'll have to change plans. The fire should be simple enough for you; leave the breaking through to us.

Anji: Mr. Usui, the Ten Swords' duty of assassination must be accomplished at all costs. It's not for us to kill civilians and low-level police!

Usui: If the fire gets going it'll be the same anyway. This won't change the fact that they're all going to die.

Anji: If you insist.

Kamatari: I'm going!

Saitsuchi: Fuji and I will hang back.

Henya (pointing at Iwanbou): Leave the fool. He'll only get in the way.

(Lines of police engage Shishio's soldiers.)

Infantry captain: Fire! Fire! In the name of the dignity of the police, we'll stop this outrage!

Soldiers: They're too many of them! Run!

(Kamatari slices them in pieces.)

Kamatari: Fine, those that want to run can go ahead. If you can get past my God of Death scythe.

(Henya sails overhead, taking out several policemen.)

Henya: What do you do if the loss of a chess piece embarrasses you? Especially since our pawns are so elegant. But if you have pawns, you advance!

Soldiers: Advance!

Police: No retreat!

(Elsewhere, two soldiers hurry down a back alley.)

Soldier: All right, around here's fine. The main force and the police are duking it out, it's a good chance.

(They pour out oil and raise a torch.)

Old Man (watching from a window): Fire, everyone!

(Hordes of people appear out of nowhere.)

People: Where, where? There! This way!

Soldiers: Wait--wait a minute! What are all these people doing up in the middle of the night?

(The Oniwabanshuu appear on a rooftop.)

Misao: All right, that's good!

People: Misao--I mean, new Okashira! We got 'em!

Misao: Good work! But we're not out of the woods yet. Be careful and stay on guard! Everyone get to your posts like we planned. Look out for fire and protect the people.

Omasu: Misao--Okashira, be careful.

(The four leap off.)

People: Good luck!!

Kaoru: The Oniwabanshuu must be really popular here.

Yahiko: You'd never think they were spies...

Kaoru: But this is the way of life they chose and the success of those ten years.

Yahiko: You're right ... they wouldn't flinch even before a Gatling gun. The true strength of the Oniwabanshuu. The form is different but it's definitely here.

Misao: All right! Everyone move out! Kaoru, Yahiko! You're next--

(Usui suddenly appears behind her, spear raised.)

Usui: So you think you won't burn, little girl...

(Abroad the Rengoku)

Houji: They're late ... all of Kyoto should have been ablaze by now. What on earth is going on...

Shishio: They can't help being outnumbered. There's five thousand police out there.

Houji: Still, they're taking too long.

Shishio: No hurry. There's no way anyone would have followed us here.

Yumi (slightly the worse for drink): Oh, aren't you feeling sentimental at all, Lord Shishio? You must be sad to see the place of all your memories of the old days and all your plans go up in flames. So let's at least watch its last moments.

Shishio: Yumi, you drink too much. Why should I drown in emotion? This is my departure to glory. My departure from the Great Fire of Kyoto I waited for for so long, and the celebration fireworks of my proclamation of war. However ... my match with him is unfinished. Speaking of regrets...

(A soldier peers out through a spyglass. Suddenly--)

Soldier: Lord Houji!

Houji: Have the fires started?

Soldier: N--no, there's a carriage. It's coming amazingly fast!

Sanosuke: Which one, Kenshin? Which one is Shishio's ship!

Kenshin: That one, the wooden ship! It's the only one blowing steam ready to leave!

Saitou: All right, stop it!

Houji: This--this is ridiculous! What are they doing here!

Shishio: He and I were the most similiar of the Hitokiris. He knows how I think. (thinking) Have you come to see me off, Battousai!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close