Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 97: The Assembly of the Ten Swords

Kenshin: Master!!

Hiko: The Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki is the strongest technique of the Hiten Mitsurugi school. You master it in exchange for the life of your predecessor. As master and student of the sword, all I've taught you ends here. After this, as a vagabond, you'll--

(He falls face forward.)

Kenshin: Master ... He's joking ... there's no way the technique could kill him with just one blow from the reverse blade.

(Hiko is motionless.)

Kenshin (thinking): Am I going to let him die? (he throws aside his sword and picks Hiko up.) Can I stand to let him die?

(He ransacks the cabin and finds a paper packet.)

Kenshin: Here it is. (thinking) When I ate the warai-take and almost died, he got me this heart-strengthening medicine. If I went down the mountain to find a doctor we'd never get back in time. All I can do is bet on his strength. Master--!!

(That night, at Shishio's headquarters.)

Soujirou: I'm back!

Yumi: Boy!

Soujirou: What's wrong? You're all red.

Yumi: Where have you been!

Soujirou: Where? Well, everyone's stuck in this cellar and getting all depressed. So I thought, why not buy some Kyoto treats for everyone?

Yumi: And that took you three days?

Soujirou: What would be best? I just couldn't decide. (Yumi smacks her forehead.) What?

Yumi: While you were gone that Usui showed up. It's been terrible!

Usui: And what's wrong with that Usui?

Soujirou: Oh, Mr. Usui. I haven't seen you in a long time. Would you like one?

Usui: Cakes ... When you leave Shishio's side it should be to perform some proper duty. And this was just for cakes ... I can't see your eyes, but my mind's eye can see right through men's hearts. Those like you who don't employ their emotions directly are no exception.

Soujirou: Huh?

Usui: Well, whatever you're hiding, it has nothing to do with me. Oh, don't forget, the Ten Swords are meeting at once in the main hall. The other three have arrived.

(They enter the main hall.)

Soujirou: Hey, Kamatari!

Yumi: Ohgod.

Kamatari: Sou! It's been so long! Yumi, it's so good to see you again.

Yumi: Yeah...

Kamatari: This time we'll see who can steal Lord Shishio's heart.

Yumi: Right. Well, I'm certainly not going to lose to a guy. (Cross-dressing scythe-wielder.)

Saitsuchi: Heh heh heh, the young have so much energy.

Soujirou: Master Saitsuchi, who could have more energy than you?

Saitsuchi: Heh heh, only you'd be so good to say so. This lot talks about as much as you'd think. Kids these days. They're all jealous of my strength at heart.

Soujirou: Oh, speaking of which, Master Saitsuchi, where's your partner?

Saitsuchi: Fuji's outside. He couldn't fit through the door.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close