Himura_battousai
Chapter 92: The Rooster and the Broom

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Sanosuke: Well, it was kind of a gamble whether you'd come to Kyoto or not. When I thought about it, I didn't know if you'd set Kenshin on him yourself or what. Hey, you could look a little more pleased to see me. I did some training on the treacherous Nakasen Way.

Saitou:?

Sanosuke: Thanks to my getting lost, this guy pushed me a lot farther than I really needed to go. (turning to the audience) When I checked with Kenshin, I found out he went by the easy Toukai Way, so think about that before you start finding fault. That's why, Saitou! I'm gonna show you the fruits of my training!

Chief: Do you know this person?

Saitou: No, not at all.

(They turn away.)

Sanosuke: Hey, wait!!

Saitou: It's easy to mistake one person for another when you're angry. He's just in the way, so leave him down here for a while.

Sanosuke: Running away, eh? Open this door or I'll open it myself! All right!

(The wooden bars shatter.)

Sanosuke: Surprised, huh? Try making fun of me again and I'll do the same to you.

Chief: Why you--

Saitou: Chief. I'll settle this myself. Wait for me upstairs.

Sanosuke: I've got a lot of things I want to ask you, but first we'll settle the fight we started in Tokyo and--hey!!

(Saitou, totally ignoring him, examines the broken edges of the wooden bars.)

Saitou: ... I see. The technique's basis is similar to the sukashi of karate, but with so much more force that they can hardly be compared ... So what happened to the basics of defense I told you to learn?

(Sanosuke looks blank, then shrugs. Saitou grabs the front of his shirt.)

Sanosuke: Since when do I have to listen to what you say! Defense just isn't my thing! I'll fight you my way!

(Saitou tosses down the piece of wood and turns away again.)

Saitou: I don't have any men to spare, but even so--you're useless to me.

Sanosuke: Running away again!

Saitou: I'm very busy. I don't have time to play with you.

Sanosuke: Well, guess it's my win by default then.

Saitou: If that's what you want to think.

Sanosuke: Ah, I knew you wouldn't go for it! C'mon, fight me! Fight me!

(He stops as Saitou unlocks the far door.)

Sanosuke: Aren't those cells even worse than these ones?

Saitou: Correct. Inside is the first important prisoner of this case. He was captured soon after Battousai arrived in Kyoto. He's from the elite corps directly under Shishio, one of the Ten Swords. He goes by the name Sword-Hunter Chou.

(Chou sits in the cell with a leg-iron and hands confined by a board with two holes in it.)

Chou: God, you guys are loud. I was trying to get a little sleep, can't you keep it down?

Saitou: You have time to spare. I have some questions for you now.

Chou: Well, whatever you say.

Saitou: Something happened yesterday in Kobe. The troops to put down Shishio were finally assembled. There were about fifty swordsmen, picked by me from the army and the police. Yet one man, working completely alone, killed them all in a single night. Thanks to him, I've lost almost all of our fighting power. Is there someone among Shishio's followers who could have done this? Answer me.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close