Himura_battousai
Chapter 89: Aoshi versus Okina

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Aoshi stands on a hill overlooking the city.)

Aoshi (thinking): A natural high ground from which you can see all of Kyoto. The Kyoto Oniwabanshuu's lookout.

(Behind him is a small one-room house. He enters; Okina is waiting for him.)

(Misao pounds up the path to the house. Flashback--)

Misao: You're lying!! Hanya and the others can't be dead. It's a lie!

Kaoru: It's not a lie. The four of the Oniwabanshuu died protecting Shinomori Aoshi.

Misao: Beshimi and Hyottoko maybe, but Hanya couldn't have died so easily!

Kaoru (thinking): What a way to talk.

Yahiko: I saw how strong Hanya was. But it doesn't matter when your opponent has a Gatling gun. It's true. They really died...

Kaoru: Shinomori Aoshi went after Kenshin to prove that the Oniwabanshuu deserved to be called the strongest. Kenshin told me this himself, so I'm sure of it. But it seems to have backfired ... Misao!

(Misao runs off for the Aoiya.)

Misao (thinking): I don't believe it. I can't believe it. How could they all die ... Gramps' network can find out if it's true or not. (throwing open the doors) Gramps!

(Omasu and Kuro are fixing the hole in the floor made last night.)

Omasu: Um, Okina's kind of, um...

Misao: What happened to the floor?

Omasu. Uh. Well, you see, Okina was talking in his sleep and did his "Sexy Commando!" punch and--Misao!

(Misao pushes past her and roots through a closet for a certain box. Finding it empty--)

Misao: Answer me. Omasu. What is he doing? If Gramps took out his battle gear in this day and age, something is going on!

Okina: Are you ready, Aoshi.

Aoshi: Yes ... To destroy a former comrade ... I have already prepared.

(He draws the kodachi.)

Okina (thinking): Two-kodachi style... (aloud) The technique mastered by the previous Okashira alone ... you are truly well called a genius. But when genius is warped, it harms only the ordinary. You will be destroyed.

(Houji reports to Shishio, as Yumi and Soujirou play shogi.)

Shishio: So the attack on the Aoiya was a failure...

Houji: I must apologize. I foolishly underestimated them ... In recompense Ten Swords Houji of the Hundred Sense will go himself...

Shishio: There's no need. I've already sent Shinomori Aoshi.

Houji: But--

(Soujirou: Check.

Yumi: Ooh!)

Shishio: I have no need for his interference. Your life is more important. By the way, Houji. Do you believe in hell?

Houji: Hell... ? No. Good men and evil man are made of the same flesh. In the end, they both rot and return to earth.

Shishio: I might have known you'd be so rational. But the truth is, I believe in Hell. Take the legendary Hitokiri Battousai. This Okina is taking off his mask of a friendly old man to destroy Shinomori Aoshi, who lives only to say that he killed Battousai. And the Meiji government, who cast me into the flames to conceal their own sins. While these men of violence wash away blood with blood crawl upon this world, is it not suitable to call it Hell?

(He gets up and walks towards him.)

Shishio (pulling off one glove): I don't think you're prepared for this. After all, there's no getting out of Hell alive. Houji, you're in need of purification.

(Aoshi attacks with the two kodachi; Okina blocks.)

Aoshi (thinking): He's hiding something in his sleeve.

(Okina attacks, hitting Aoshi across the temple.)

Aoshi: Tonfa!!

Okina: You know I was the only one who could face the previous Okashira, Aoshi. I can't kill with a sword. These steel tonfa are my answer. Your Kodachi Nitou style won't get through.

(Aoshi says nothing; he blurs until he seems to be everywhere at once, surrounding Okina.)

Okina: Flowing-water movement. Moving at different speeds to confuse your enemy's vision. It used to be a favorite technique of mine. However you move, in the instant that you attack, you think you can harm me? Take this!

(He strikes; Aoshi counters with one sword.)

Kodachi Nitou Onmyuo Kousa!

(He uses the other kodachi to drive the first through the tonfa, cutting it in half.)

Aoshi: What couldn't get through was the previous Okashira's Kodachi Nitou. Be it steel, or a former comrade, or Himura Battousai ... there is nothing my Kodachi Nitou cannot cut through.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close