Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 88: Overture to Destruction

The destruction of the Oniwabanshuu--that moment is creeping over closer to the Aoiya. Meanwhile... (Hiko and Kenshin leap to the attack; Hiko kicks Kenshin in the back before he can strike.)

Hiko: You held the sword high up over your head. Attacks aren't limited to the sword. You're relying too much on your speed at reading your opponent's moves. It's a good thing I decided to test you before I taught you the secret techniques. I wouldn't have thought you'd be so out of practice.

Kenshin: ... No time. Shishio could be moving in on everyone right now. I have to learn the techniques before that happens.

(In reply, Hiko sheaths his sword.)

Kenshin (thinking): Battou-jutsu, taking the sheath from the belt in that stance ... Hiten Mitsurugi Second-level Battou-jutsu Souryuusen.

(He holds his sword vertically downward to block.)

Kenshin (thinking): The sheath first--oh no. Another second-level battou-jutsu. The attack with the sword from the scabbard-blow. Souryuusen Ikatsuchi.

(Trapping Kenshin's sword with the scabbard, Hiko smashes into Kenshin's shoulder.)

Hiko: You think you can learn the secret techniques of the Hiten Mitsurugi school in that condition? Stupid pupil. First fight a round with me. Then I'll teach them to you. Hey, what's wrong. I deliberately hit you with the flat, so get up.

(Clutching his shoulder, Kenshin turns his glare at him.)

Hiko (thinking): Unlike his skills, his gaze hasn't dulled at all. Just like when I taught him the Hiten Mitsurugi-- (aloud) That was just child's play. You've got some hard training coming up.

Kenshin: Huh? (Child's play?)

Hiko: Nothing. Come on and fight. There's no time. You keep fussing like that and you won't be in time to save those friends of yours.

(Five soldiers, hooded and masked, approach the Aoiya; each has three blades lashed to their left arm to form claws.)

Aoshi (in Houji's office): The Kyousoushuu?

Houji: They were picked from our soldiers for effectiveness in darkness. They're a unit of spies who specialize in night attacks. You said the original headquarters of the Oniwabanshuu is now just an inn. Like a rat's nest. It'd only be a waste to send the Ten Swords. Even a handkerchief is too much to catch rats.

Kyousoushuu: We have no use for anyone but the old man. You can kill the others Roger. All right, spread out.

(They divide up and enter the Aoiya; two creeps into Okina's bedroom. He pulls away the bedcovers--)

Okina (wide awake and ready): Who are you?

(The soldier is stunned.)

Okina (standing up): I said, who are you.

(The soldier strikes with the claw.)

Okina (knocking it aside): Answer (smashing his skull with his fist) the question!!

Second soldier: Shit!

(The rest of the Oniwabanshuu have him surrounded.)

Shiro (catching his arm before he can blow a whistle): You can try, but your friends are all asleep.

(They tie him up for questioning.)

Shiro: I can see they're Shishio's men, but what do they want? And why did they just decide to attack the Aoiya?

Omasu (to the soldier): We're not demons. If you tell us, you can go.

(He spits in her face.)

Shiro: Bastard!!

Okina (holding him back): It's smart for a spy to keep quiet, but--Okon, get me some candles and a few nails. To cross me, the most terrible of the Oniwabanshuu, is sheer folly.

(By the clock in Houji's office, it's eight o'clock in the morning.)

Houji: They're late. What could the Kyousoushuu be doing?

Soldier (bursting in): Lord Houji!!

(They hurry to the front gate. The captured soldier stands there; candles have burned down on his hands, coating them with dripping wax.)

Houji: They--they can't have been defeated?

(The soldier falls; in the flesh of his back are the words: I'll be waiting at the lookout. Come alone. Okina.)

Aoshi: It will take a large handkerchief to destroy these rats. Okina of the Oniwabanshuu was my teacher and the only one who could stand before the previous Okashira. I don't know if even the Ten Swords you're so proud of could win... (thinking) As I thought, I'll have to go myself.

Okina (thinking, as he dons his battle gear): I told you, Aoshi. If you have sacrificed the honor of the Oniwabanshuu for the sake of violence, I'll destroy you myself!!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close