Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 80: The Sword Which May Not be Drawn

(Seikuu throws open the door to the shrine. The sword, in a plain wooden sheath, sits before an altar.)

Seikuu (thinking): "I made swords to build a new era" ... I never accepted the words my father spoke long ago. Now I finally understand. It's presumptuous to think a sword can build an era. A new era is made by people. And to the one who protects the era he built, who continues to fight from the shadows to protect the peace, I will give my father's sword--!

Chou: I'm not going to take this anymore! I'm pissed off now! See this head? This is what they call Angry Hair that Strikes from Heaven!

Kenshin: You'll have to try a little harder with that worn-out broom head then.

Iori (pleased): Broo--m. Broo--m.

Chou (charging): I'll cram this in your stupid serious face, you fool! You goddam little--

Misao: He's moving in for the kill!

(Chou snaps the blade; Kenshin threads the tip into his sheath.)

Chou: He stopped it with what's left of the sheath--

(Kenshin tosses the point of the sword aside and leaps forward.)

Chou: Oh shit! (thinking) He got in too close!

(Kenshin smashes Chou's forehead with his elbow. Chou goes down.)

Misao: He did it! An Iron Elbow as a counterattack! All right!

Okina: He provoked him and attacked in two flying steps, drawing him in ... With no sword and a wounded right leg it could be Himura's final attack. If it's finished here...

Chou (still conscious and leering): Ooh, careful, careful. It's not good to make too much fun of you.

Okina: It didn't work...

Chou: That attack made me angry, but I'm calm again. You won't fool me a second time. I'll chop you into five pieces and put them on display at the Shijou Gawara.

Okina: Now he was no chance of victory. How are we going to get everyone out of here without someone getting hurt...

Misao (thinking): A sword ... if he only had a sword...

Seikuu (running out of the temple): Mr. Himura! It's my father's last sword! Please, use this!

(Kenshin catches the sword.)

Chou: The stagehand's a little late throwing in the props. Well, whatever. I'll destroy you and take the last work ... two birds with one stone. Draw it. I've had enough, let's settle this. We're two equal swordsmen. It'll be easy to tell which will kill and which will be killed.

Misao: Go, Himura! Now you've got a sword, it'll be easy!

Okina: It's no good. Himura won't draw the sword. No, he probably can't. He's sworn to be a vagabond who does not kill. It's forbidden for him to draw any sword but the reverse blade.

Misao: But that doesn't count at a time like this! He has to kill, or he'll be killed! I don't know what kind of killer Himura was before, but he has to kill one more time--

Okina: That one more time is the problem. When you set him against a strong enemy like this man of Shishio's, the scales balance. Himura is teetering on the edge between the vagabond who does not kill and Hitokiri Battousai.

Misao: Hitokiri Battousai...

Okina: If he draws that sword now and kills, his heart will break its bonds. He'll slide down into the violence of the Hitokiri. He'll never be a vagabond again. If only the sword's sheath wasn't plain wood but iron like the reverse blade...

Chou: You're Hitokiri Battousai ... And you hesitate to kill. (their eyes meet) All right, if you've forgotten the joy of killing, I'll make you remember. Based on this performance.

Seikuu: Iori!

Chou: I'll destroy what you called a heaven-sent child of peace!

(Misao pulls out some kunai; Okina snaps his cane apart to form nunchuks. But before they can act Kenshin springs forward.)

Chou: Come on!

Okina: Oh no! He's lost his head--!

Chou: I'll pay you back for making a fool of me!

(Kenshin jumps, avoiding the blade.)

Chou: I've got you now! (thinking) The tip of the Hakujin no Tachi's ever-changing blade will stab him from behind--what?

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuukansen Tsumuji!(1)

Chou: Where'd that come from--It's like he's a whole other person than before!

Misao: Himura!

(Kenshin strikes.)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close