Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 79: The Thin-Bladed Sword

Okina: One of Shakkuu's killing swords!

Misao: Watch out, Himura! He's still got a hidden sword!

(The long blade whips around to strike at Kenshin from behind.)

Chou: This is my favorite blade of all! The killing sword Hakujin no Tachi!(1)

Okina: It's long!

Misao: Himura!

(Kenshin ducks a little to the side.)

Seikuu: That won't work! Just dodging by a hair's breath won't--

(Chou snaps his wrist; the point snakes down and buries itself in Kenshin's thigh.)

Chou: Right on target. You won't move around so easily now.

Seikuu: The Hakujin no Tachi ... It was forged to be as thin as possible while maintaining the strength of the blade. The tip is weighted so the slightest flick of the wrist can direct it. He's already taken a wound to the leg with the ever-changing Hakujin no Tachi...

Chou: Looks like we attracted an audience before I knew it. I guess it's time we got this show on the road. I'll show you my own Orochi style.(2)

(The sword snaps along the ground; Kenshin raises the scabbard to counter it, but it's cut in half.)

Chou: You blocked! But I'm not done yet!

(Kenshin rolls to avoid another attack.)

Misao: Himura!

Seikuu (thinking): It's no good. He has no chance of winning. If this goes on Iori will be...

(He turns away.)

Azusa: Dear?

Seikuu: I'll give up my father's sword. In any case, I'll save Iori. I can't get him away from this scene of violence a moment too soon. The man from Osaka is distracted by the fight. If I get a chance, I'll--

Misao: You're using Himura as a decoy? You know he can't fight with a broken sword! And Himura was the first to get here! You're--

Seikuu (head bowed): I didn't ask him to. He chose to fight.

Okina: Mr. Seikuu, as this girl's guardian, I understand the feeling that your child is the most important thing on earth. But Himura, by choosing to fight to protect him, understands this too.

(Kenshin dodges another attack.)

Chou: You're just a bad loser. This is pathetic.

(Kenshin glares at him.)

Chou: Those eyes are really getting on my nerves. Don't you understand what's going on? That you're about to die? Just for some kid?

Kenshin (getting to his feet): In the old days, to bring in the new age, I killed a lot of people.

Chou: Oh, now you're bragging? Trying to cling to old glory in your last moments--that's really pathetic.

Kenshin: It has been ten years since the new age began, the result of bloodshed and duels to the death for which there can be no redemption. But this is the first time the new era has shown this aspect of peace to a child, raised by a good family, who knows nothing of duels or bloodshed. To you he is nothing but a brat, but to me he is a heaven-sent child of the new era. If it costs me my life, I will return Iori to the Seikuu family safe from harm.

(Kenshin catches Seikuu's eye, and seems to say to him:) I'll distract him. Hurry and save Iori!

Azusa: Dear?

Chou: So now you're the ally of justice? I hate being the bad guy. But your part in this is over. Soon under Lord Shishio I'll make a new era with the Hakujin no Tachi. So die in peace.

Kenshin: It's unfortunate, but for you this is utterly impossible. Swords cannot make an era. For this you need people.

(Seikuu starts running.)

Azusa: Dear!

Misao: He's--

Okina: No, wait!

Seikuu (running past the tree): Hang on, Iori! You'll be safe soon!

Chou (sending the blade after Seikuu): What's a spectator doing on stage?

Azusa: Dear!

(Kenshin throws his half-sword to knock Chou's sword away.)

Chou: Now you're really are getting on my nerves!!

Kenshin (thinking): Mr. Seikuu--?

Seikuu (thinking): I'll take a chance. I'll trust him with it! He'll use my father's sword as it was meant to be used, to protect Iori and the peace of the new age!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close