Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 78: Ten Sword Chou

Chou: That cross-shaped scar ... you must be the famous Hitokiri Battousai.

Iori: Gojaru!!

Chou: You're smaller than I thought. Like a girl. Oh well. You here for the sword too?

Kenshin: Unfortunately, I seek a different sword. If you're here for the last work of Shakkuu, go and take it. Only give back the child first.

Chou: You want to avoid an unnecessary fight? Could be. Or it could be that with your trusty reverse blade broken, you can't fight like you want to. Well, it wouldn't be much fun to beat someone who isn't up to full strength, but if I came across an enemy and didn't settle it with a fight, Lord Shishio would kill me. So!

(He tosses Iori and the sword's sheath straight up; Iori is caught in a tree.)

Chou: After all this trouble to get the sword, it'd only be half as much fun without something to test it on. I've always wanted to try killing a baby. So I reject your proposal. We'll have a fair and honorable fight.

Kenshin: Is it fair and honorable to fight with a hostage, knowing your opponent's sword is broken? You mock me.

Chou: I'm not mocking you in particular. Just--(springing forward)--your serious face!

(Kenshin blocks with his scabbard.)

Chou (stabbing with the other sword): Got you!

(Kenshin swiftly turns sideways; Chou misses completely.)

Kenshin: If you wish to stab me to death, show me a technique that surpasses Saitou's Gatotsu.

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuukansen!(1)

(He strikes behind him, breaking the swords on Chou's back.)

Iori: Gojaru! Gojaru!!

(Kenshin turns towards Iori.)

Chou (standing up): Guess you're not quite as weak as you look. This'll be tough without my beloved blades on my back. But the price will be high.

(Both of his swords fall into halves; half of each clamps together to form one double-bladed sword.)

Chou: One of Shakkuu's early works, the Renbatou.(2) You'll get two equal wounds at the same time, and you won't be able to stitch them up. In other words, even if I miss a vital spot and don't kill you right away, you'll die of wounds you won't be able to treat. I'll give you your death!

(Chou strikes; Kenshin blocks by placing his sword in between the two blades.)

Kenshin: So this is the kind of swordsman you are.

(He puts a hand on the scabbard and twists, breaking both blades.)

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuushousen!(3)

(Kenshin strikes Chou in the belly with a blow that lifts him off the ground.)

Kenshin (turning back to Iori): I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. Let's get you down.

Chou (getting to his feet): I see ... Guess you were right. I made fun of you a little too much.

Kenshin (thinking): I hit him in the suigetsuIt didn't hurt him as much as it should have.

One of the body's vital points.

Iori: Gojaru...

Kenshin: I'm sorry, Iori. It looks like it will be a little longer.

Chou: You're talking to the brat and you can't even look at me?! Make fun of me again and I'll kill that kid!!

(Kenshin gives him a cold, angry glare.)

Chou: Oh, so you can looks like that too? It's bad to be unwilling to give people things. You were unwilling to give me that look from the start.

(He takes off his jacket, revealing a length of metal wound around his waist.)

Kenshin: Silver armor ... So that's how you withstood the Ryuushousen.

(Misao, Seikuu and Azusa rush up to the shrine, as Okina arrives from the other direction.)

Misao: Gramps! You're so slow! You just got here? (Doesn't the First Ru mean anything to you?)

Okina: Huh? Where's Himura? He ran off as soon as he heard. I couldn't keep up.

Misao: What! Himura's sword is broken! You were supposed to take care of this!

Okina: Don't be mad at me.

Misao: Well hurry then!

(They run up the stairs.)

Misao: They've already started! (frowning) I wouldn't have thought Himura would be so short-tempered.

Okina: Well, he seems to be getting the better of him.

Seikuu (catching sight of the armor): Stop! That thing wrapped around his waist!

(The strip of metal ends behind Chou's back in a sword handle.)

Seikuu: My father made it after making refinement after refinement. It's one of the later killing swords!

Chou: Chou Sword-hunter of the Ten Swords. (grinning) From now on, it's true madness.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close