Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 77: The Curtain Rises on a Brush with Death

Okina: Are you all right, Himura?

Kenshin: I think so.

Okina (pushing Misao's head down in a bow): See what happens when you fool around like that.

Kenshin: Oh no, I was being careless.

Okina: In any case, you're going to give up on having Seikuu make the sword for him!

Kenshin: Exactly.

Misao: But--

Okina: That's enough out of you!

(Meanwhile)

Seikuu: My father's ... last work?

Chou: That's what they tell me. The last work of the swordsmith Arai Shakkuu. Mind if I have a look?

Seikuu (thinking): Where did he...

(Chou stares him down.)

Seikuu (after a long pause): I ... I don't know. The whereabouts of my father's last sword are unknown. It wasn't entrusted to me.

(Azusa comes around the house upon the scene.)

Chou: Hmm. Guess it was my mistake. Sorry about this. (flipping one of his swords around) You see, I love swords. I just love 'em. I'm a swordsman; I get to try out all different kinds, all different styles.

(He hooks Iori's shirt with the sheathed sword and lifts him up.)

Seikuu: What are you--

Chou: Watch this.

(He sends Iori and the sword's sheath flying straight up in the air, holding the sword directly beneath them.)

Seikuu: Iori!!

(Chou neatly catches the sheath on the sword. Iori starts to cry.)

Chou: You're in the presence of a swordsman who can do the Sakasa-chuukuu Noutou.(1) Not bad, huh? But I'm really shocked you don't know where Shakkuu's last work is. Of all my swords, Shakkuu's is my favorite. Oh--now this isn't good. I'm so shocked, I'd probably miss if I tried this again.

Seikuu (running forward): Iori!

(Chou hits him with the other sword.)

Azusa: Dear!

Chou: I've never shown anyone this move twice in a row. Sit back and enjoy.

Azusa: Please, wait!

Seikuu: Azusa!

Azusa: His father's sword isn't here! It's already been dedicated to the Hakusan shrine as a holy sword!

Chou: I thought so. You knew where it was, but you said you didn't. You two are bad people. You're such bad people I'm going to have to go off and pray. (He turns away, dangling Iori from the sword) Until you can tell the difference between a lie and the truth, I'm going to hang on to the kid. Oh, it's probably not a good idea to call the police. I'm not scared of 'em, but Lord Shishio says they can get pretty rough. I don't really need to tell you what's gonna happen if you talk.

(He leaves. Misao is walking up to the house.)

Misao: No matter what Himura and Gramps say, he'd better hurry and get that sword. If we just lean on him a little--

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close