Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 76: the Ten Swords Act

(Misao sits at a table holding a fan; beside her is a sign reading "The Story Thus Far: Presented by Makimachi Misao.)

Misao: Himura Kenshin, you in your search for a new reverse blade went to the son of the swordsmith Arai Shakkuu, Seikuu. But Seikuu, out of respect for this era of peace, no longer makes swords. Kenshin, you said you could not bear to force Seikuu to make one. (snapping the fan closed) Pitifully, the search for a reverse blade must start anew. (pointing an accusing finger) You're so nice! You're just too nice!!

Kenshin: Oro?

Misao: You could see it in his eyes, in every word he said--that guy was a wuss. If you'd just leaned on him a little he would have done anything for you.

Kenshin: No. (smiling) I have no right to force myself into Mr. Seikuu's peaceful life.

Misao: God that's nice.

Okina (entering the room): Even if he forced him to make it, he could not rule the swordsmith's spirit; it would be poor work. If he faced Shishio with a sword like the one broken by Seta Soujirou, Himura's death would be certain. It would be completely useless if it only had the form of a reverse blade. The new reverse blade must surpass the old one! (shrugging helplessly) I raised you myself, and you don't even understand that?

Misao (attacking): What's that supposed to mean?! At least he'd had something to fight with!

Okina: Well, there's swordsmiths in Kyoto for that.

(Kenshin looks at his hand, remembering Iori saying "Anfake! Anfake!")

Kenshin (thinking): This is best. If Seikuu had agreed to make my reverse blade, Shishio's men would have eliminated him. I don't want this family living in the Meiji peace to be involved in this struggle. Nor the people here. No matter how much they learned in the Oniwabanshuu, they couldn't settle a fight with Shishio's men without someone being hurt. There's one more person left to find. After that, I'll go.

Misao (hitting him with a flying kick): People are worrying about you and you're lost in your own little world!!

Kenshin: O--

(Misao's kick knocks him through the wall, over the balcony and down to the street below.)

Misao: Uh-oh. Himura!!

Kenshin: --ro...

(Shishio and Yumi walk through the gates leading to his headquarters.)

Yumi: Here we are in the Flower of Kyoto, and we have to live in a cellar.

Shishio: This place was built for us.

Yumi: But--

Shishio: It will only be for two or three more months. Be patient.

(They enter. The main hallway is lined with rows of masked soldiers at attention.)

Houji: Welcome back, Lord Shishio.

Shishio: This is quite a welcome, Houji. Did you take care of the job I left to you?

Houji: Yes, sir. The firearms have been purchased as planned. Where is Soujirou?

Shishio: He's in the east gathering the Ten Swords. Those like Anji may be hard to find. I've sent word to those in the west personally.

Houji: You mean--

Shishio: Yes. After the Ten Swords have been assembled, our conquest of the country begins.

(The soldiers break into cheers, chanting "Lord Shishio! Lord Shishio!")

Houji: Did you hear, comrades! The time to rise up together has come! Do not neglect your own preparations!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close