Himura_battousai
Chapter 70: Soujirou the Prodigy

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Kenshin: Take up your sword, Shishio Makoto.

Misao (thinking): I'm not sure what's going on, but this is amazing. It's ... we can't show ourselves now.

Saitou: Don't bother hiding, you can come on out. (he opens the door; Misao and Eiji tumble out.) Just stay close.

Kenshin: Miss Misao!

Shishio: That technique you called the Ryuushousen. You struck Senkaku's chin with the flat of the blade, but if you had used the edge, it would have killed him?

Kenshin: ... Yes.

Shishio: I'm disappointed. I'd heard you had become a vagabond sworn not to kill, but it was hard to believe until I saw it with my own eyes. You could never destroy me like that. (he gestures to Yumi) Boring. I don't want to fight.

(Yumi folds the screen behind them, revealing a secret stairway.)

Shishio: I'll be waiting in Kyoto. Become the Hitokiri and we'll try this again.

Kenshin: You'll turn tail and run?

(Shishio picks up a sword and tosses it to Soujirou. Soujirou's face lights up.)

Shishio: Soujirou, play with him for me.

Soujirou: Are you sure?

Shishio: Yes. I'm showing him my prodigy as a reward for the Ryuushousen.

Soujirou: Then, with your permission.

(They square off.)

Misao: Himura! What're you just standing there for? The bandage guy is getting away!

(Kenshin glares at Soujirou in her direction. Soujirou looks puzzled, while Misao is knocked to the floor.)

Misao (dazed): What the heck was that?

Saitou: It's useless. Trying to fight him with sword-ki is like attacking the wind. I've been doing it all along. He doesn't have any fighting-ki or killing-ki at all, not to mention sword-ki.

(Shishio and Yumi are on horseback, galloping away.)

Yumi: Lord Shishio, what did you mean, prodigy?

Shishio: It's his nickname. He has a natural talent for the sword.

Yumi: But isn't Battousai the same way?

Shishio: In a way. But because of Soujirou's experiences as a child, all of the four emotions other than amusement have been suppressed. Without joy, he has no fighting ki; without anger, he has no killing ki. The finest swordsman couldn't read the ki of Soujirou's attack. For instance, Saitou was going to attack me, but he couldn't read Soujirou and didn't do it. For Battousai, who reads his enemy's intentions instantaneously, it will be all the more deadly--

Soujirou: I'm sorry, but if we don't hurry I won't be able to catch up with Mr. Shishio.

(Kenshin sheathes his sword and assumes the battou-jutsu stance.)

Misao: Himura!

Saitou: I thought so. Using your fastest technique against him is the best plan.

Soujirou: Battou-jutsu? Well, then me too. (taking a similar stance.)

(They draw their swords at almost the same instant.)

Shishio: The match will probably be an exchange of battou-jutsu.

(The swords meet.)

Shishio: The speed of their swords are equal! But--

(The reverse blade is sliced perfectly in half.)

Shishio: Without regret, Soujirou thinks nothing of killing, while Battousai has sworn never to kill again. They may both be naturals, but the difference is clear! Until he abandons his oath, Battousai will never defeat Soujirou.

Soujirou: That's the match, isn't it?

Saitou: Yes. If neither side can go on, it's a draw.

(Soujirou looks down and is surprised to see his own sword is shattered all along the edge of the blade.)

Misao: All right! That's my Himura!

Soujirou: This is amazing. It's completely beyond repair. (sheathing it quickly) Well, it was Mr. Shishio's, after all. (he walks past Kenshin to the stair) This match had no winner or loser. You'll have to excuse me today, but if you can, please fight me again. Until then, find yourself another sword.

(Kenshin stands silently as he leaves. Then, he slowly sheathes the half of the sword that remains.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close