Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 66: A Village Abandoned

Man: Please ... my brother ... and the village. Save them from Shishio's men...

This man's village was a short distance away from Numazujuku on the Toukai Way. With a population of no more than twenty, it was a small village in a mountain valley, half wooded, half farmland. Called Shingetsu, it was an ordinary place until two years ago. (A little later. The little boy, Eiji, is propped up against a tree; Misao and Kenshin lean over him.)

Misao: Wake up. Hey, wake up!

(The boy's eyes slide open.)

Misao: He's awake.

Eiji: Who are... (remembering) My brother!

(At the other side of the clearing is a grave mound, with the notched sword sticking out of the ground as a marker.)

Misao: By the time we found him he was already...

Eiji (breaking into tears): Dammit. Dammit!

Kenshin: What happened? Can you tell us?

Eiji: What's the use telling a stranger?

Kenshin: I am going to Kyoto to meet Shishio.

(Both Eiji and Misao look shocked. Kenshin returns their gaze.)

Eiji: Shishio's followers came on us suddenly two years ago. First of all, they killed the police stationed here and took over the village. When more police were sent, they killed them too. After two years, the police stopped coming and Shishio's men came in continuously. The government abandoned the village of Shingetsu.

Misao: You've got to be exaggerating. They're probably planning a war right now.

Eiji (holding out a folded square of paper): Then look at this! It's a brand new map my brother brought from Tokyo. Look! The name of Shingetsu's been taken off! When my brother found this he knew the village was in trouble. He tried to save our family first ... and got killed by one of Shishio's followers, that bastard Senkaku, the one that controls Shingetsu! (standing up) I have to go back ... My mom and dad are still there! Now that my brother is dead I have to save them! (putting a hand on the sword on his brother's grave) Brother ... lend me your strength.

Kenshin (pushing the sword down): In your brother's stead, I will lend you mine. Miss Misao, take care of the boy.

Misao: What? I'm going too--

Kenshin: No. I'm going into the village alone. Wait here.

(Kenshin walks into the village's empty streets.)

Kenshin (thinking): Nothing's been repaired or taken care of ... It's like a ghost town.

(remembering Eiji saying: "Shishio always stays in the village for a week, twice a year. I don't know what he wanted, but the village is under Senkaku's control just for that. Shishio just got here now. Senkaku went to an inn to meet him, so now's the time to save my parents!")

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close