Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 61: A Cruel Man

Aoshi: Where is Himura Battousai?

Megumi: I ... I...

Aoshi (kneeling in front of her): Where is Battousai? Answer me.

Megumi: (thinking) He wants Ken-san dead... (aloud) I ... I don't know.

(He deliberately places a hand an inch away from her cheek.)

Aoshi: If you don't answer me, I'll kill you.

Saitou (from behind her): Battousai's gone to Kyoto.

Aoshi: Who are you?

Saitou: Fujita Gorou. As you can see, just a policeman. Don't stare. I'll tell you what's happened, since you've been holed up in the mountains up till now.

Aoshi: All right. Tell me.

(the explanation ensues.)

Aoshi: Shishio Makoto...

Saitou: You can believe me or not, but Battousai has undoubtedly gone to Kyoto.

Aoshi (walking away): If so, I'll come again when Battousai has returned.

Saitou: Maybe he won't come back. Maybe Shishio will kill him.

Aoshi: That cannot be. I am the only one who will kill Battousai.

Saitou: You have great self-confidence. (as Aoshi passes) But ... perhaps not over-confident.

Megumi: What were you just talking to him for, you worthless cop! He's a dangerous man! All he thinks about is killing Ken-san!

Saitou: If I hadn't been talking to him, that dangerous man would have killed you. Dangerous, but one who became the Okashira of the Oniwabanshuu at the age of fifteen is certainly talented. I'm just wondering whether or not we can use him.

Soujirou (sitting in a tree, putting away his telescope): My sentiments exactly. Shinomori Aoshi ... certainly a useful man.

(The next day. Aoshi returns to the graves of the Oniwabanshuu, to find four men sprawled in the clearing, eating and guzzling sake.)

Man1: So I came with this woman.

Man2: Next time I get to meet her!

Man: He's here, he's here. You're late, we've been waiting for you. Shinomori Aoshi.

Aoshi: Who are you.

Man: We're from the glorious Lord Shishio. The Abukuma Foursome. Lord Shishio wants to meet with you, face to face. Even we only meet with him once a year; it's a great honor. So come. Lord Shishio is waiting.

Aoshi: If you want to see someone, you go see him yourself. Go back and tell him that. If that's all, go back, and never set foot on this ground again. If you ever profane it again, I'll kill you and your Shishio.

(A pause. Then one of them spits on a gravestone.)

Man: Don't get too cocky just because you've got some skills, boy! It's bad enough to hear you say you'd kill us. But to say you'd kill Lord Shishio ... This crime deserves death!!

(They charge, brandishing axes.)

Man: Those who mock Lord Shishio shall not be permitted to live!

(Aoshi raises his sword.)

Man (thinking): A long sword ... He's changed his weapon since he lost to Battousai. But no matter what he carries ... one sword can't defeat our foursome technique!

(Aoshi draws, not only the visible sword, but a second one whose handle was concealed as the bottom of the sheath.)

Man (thinking): Two kodachis in one sheath! It can't be...

Kodachi Nitouryuu (Two kodachi-style)

(Aoshi makes short work of all four.)

Soujirou (coming out from behind a tree): I'm impressed. They didn't even have a chance to use their instant four-in-one technique.

Aoshi: Are you one of Shishio's pawns too?

Soujirou: Yes. Seta Soujirou. I am one of his advisors. But that really was impressive. If you'll just come with me and listen to what we have to say--

Aoshi: Get lost. I don't intend to work for anybody. Especially for a cruel man who would sacrifice his own men to test the strength of an opponent.

Soujirou: So you noticed that? But you must be fairly cruel as well, if you knew they were sacrifices and still didn't think twice about slaughtering them. Well, all right. If you feel like it, come to Kyoto. We'll be waiting for you there. If you see the era change a second time and miss being in the center of it again, you'll bring shame to the name of Oniwabanshuu Okashira.

(Soujirou walks up into another clearing.)

Soujirou: What do you think of him?

(Shishio Makoto is sitting beneath a large umbrella, being fed lunch by a beautiful woman in an off-the-shoulders kimono (Yumi.)

Shishio: I like him. Especially the way he cut them down as though they were trash.

Soujirou: But he doesn't seem to be easily tempted. Well ... what do we do next?

Shishio: Hmm. It's still a little early to greet my Hitokiri predecessor.

Soujirou: Mr. Shishio. This is fun--don't you think?

Shishio: In a way.

(Aoshi stands in his clearing.)

Aoshi: Kyoto ... If I am to lay this flower at your graves, it would be better to do it soon.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close