Himura_battousai
Chapter 60: Megumi's Feelings, Kaoru's Feelings

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

I couldn't follow him. I don't know why. But when he said one word, "farewell," it was like I was chained from head to foot. I still am. Kenshin... ! (Tae is kneeling besides Kaoru, who refuses to look at her.)

Tae: I understand your feelings, but Kaoru, brooding forever won't solve anything. Cheer up. Oh, I know! I'll give these to you. (holding up two nishiki-e) Mr. Tsunan's Ibahachi. And the real Nakajina Nobori's Hijikata Toshizou, my treasure!

Kaoru: No thanks.

(Tae turns to stone.)

Tae (thinking): No thanks. My treasures, no thanks.

(Yahiko is running home.)

Megumi: Yahiko?! Didn't you go to Kyoto? Or did they leave you home alone?

Yahiko: What are you talking about? Kaoru's still at the dojo.

Megumi: What...

(Tsubame places a tray of food before Kaoru.)

Tsubame: I know it's not very good, but it's not good for you not to eat.

Kaoru: No thanks.

Tae: How can you say that? Tsubame worked hard to make that for you.

Kaoru: I said, no thanks.

Tae: Kaoru!

Kaoru: You don't have to look after me!! Please, just leave me alone!!

Megumi (appearing at the door): I'm disgusted. You're still here.

Kaoru: What do you want.

Megumi: Isn't it obvious? I came to laugh at the tanuki-girl Ken-san rejected.

(Kaoru: Why you... )

Tae: Miss Takani!

(Megumi holds up the little jar.)

Megumi: This is medicine, a family treasure. Ken-san told me before how well it worked. Now, it's something he needs, but I guess I can't ask you to give it to him. I'll have to ask Yahiko.

Kaoru: Shouldn't you take it yourself, without relying on others? All the way to Kyoto.

Tae: Oh-oh ... cat fight...

Tsubame: I'm scared...

Megumi: Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time, like you. I have patients to take care of. I can't go off on a journey.

Kaoru: Your patients over Kenshin? In other words, he's not that important to you.

Tae: Kaoru, that's going a little far--

(Megumi slaps her, but Kaoru puts up a hand to block.)

Kaoru: You mock an adjutant master--

(Megumi raises a hand to slap the other cheek. Kaoru winces, but Megumi's hand stops inches from her face.)

Megumi: You're the one trying to mock me. (lifting Kaoru's chin with two fingers) I became a doctor so I could save lives and atone for my sins. All right? This is my life's path. And there is no one who could have shown me how to live that path but Ken-san. So even if he's not here, I'll keep on atoning as a doctor. This atonement is how I feel towards him. So I don't need some cowering girl to tell me he's not important to me. Oh, so now you're going to cry? You really are weak.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close