Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 59: To Kyoto... (the End)

Saitou: ... You'll prove it to me with your fists ... Is that what you said?

Sanosuke: Yeah!

Saitou: Well put. Despite the fact that I've already beaten you to shreds once.

Sanosuke: What!!

Yahiko: He's just trying to make you mad!

(Saitou removes the sword from his belt; it clatters to the ground.)

Saitou: That's so you won't have the excuse that you couldn't win because your opponent had a sword. This time, I'll fight by your rules. It will be a match of fists.

Yahiko: Don't believe him, Sanosuke! He's a cheater, he'll kick if you let him!

Saitou: Feh ... so you really do hate me.

Yahiko (going for the shinai again): You got that right!!

Saitou: Don't worry. This will truly be only fists. No matter how foolish, I'll use the rooster-head's own way of fighting to destroy him. He'll understand what his own limits are whether he likes it or not.

Sanosuke: Interesting. (charging) Let's go!

(He punches.)

Saitou (blocking easily): One blow with all of your strength coming out of the charge. I've learned one of your idiocies well.

Sanosuke: The idiocy you've learned is your own.

(Catching Saitou off guard, he rains punches down on him.)

Yahiko: Damn, when did you learn that technique!

Sanosuke: You're always making the second move with your fists, the complete opposite of your kenjutsu fighting style. You're always on the counterattack! So I'm never giving you the chance to return a punch. It's like gunfire from a badly-made gun. It ain't pretty, but--

Saitou: Feh...

(Though the forearms of his sleeves are completely shredded, Saitou himself is untouched.)

Saitou: My fists make the second move?

Sanosuke (thinking): He didn't take a single punch!

Saitou: Don't make me laugh.

(He uses the same technique on Sanosuke, causing a lot more damage.)

Yahiko: Sanosuke!

Sanosuke (thinking): Dammit ... The speed and strength of the punches aren't that different, but why is he connecting and I'm not... ! Why--

(An uppercut knocks him down.)

Tsukioka (thinking): He's strong...

Yahiko (thinking): I hate to admit it, but this is the only guy who's ever fought with Kenshin and ended with a draw...

Saitou: Do you understand? I and Battousai have strength and experience far beyond yours. Compared to us, you're just a loudmouth, a green novice.

Sanosuke: Shut up. So what? (getting to his feet) I'm going to Kyoto. No matter what anyone says.

(He staggers.)

Saitou: Your feet must be feeling the blow to the chin. (putting his right arm out and his left pulled back) You ... cannot go to Kyoto.

Yahiko: That's-- (thinking) That's the Gatotsu stance without a sword! (aloud) Dodge, Sanosuke! If you take that you'll be in real trouble!

Saitou: Give it up. He can barely keep on his feet. No matter how you struggle (throwing the punch) you're nothing but a novice!!

Sanosuke: So what!!!

(He blocks by bringing his two fists together, trapping Saitou's arm.)

Sanosuke: This novice could have easily broken your arm Surprised? You've been calling me green all this time, but what about you? No matter how strong you or Kenshin is, you didn't start out that strong. You've been fighting since the Bakumatsu in Kyoto, ten years ago. You played your part in building the Meiji era. But just because I'm a novice doesn't mean I'm weak.

(To break the hold, Saitou punches him with the opposite fist.)

Sanosuke: You bastard--

Saitou (walking away): It's over.

Sanosuke: What?!

Saitou: It's not worth the time and effort to fight an opponent who's stupid no matter what you say or do. If you want to go to Kyoto, go. And get yourself killed. A fool who thinks he's strong and doesn't know how to defend himself won't live long anyway.

(He walks away.)

Tsukioka: You won, Sanosuke. But we'd better do something about that shoulder--

Sanosuke: Yeah... (he stops.)

Yahiko: What's wrong, Sanosuke?

Sanosuke (thinking): Of all the punches he threw, not one hit my shoulder ... He really was fighting by my rules... (aloud) So that's the Wolf of Mibu. That's the real strength of the captain of the Shinsengumi third unit. Dammit! What am I standing around here for! I'm leaving!

Tsukioka: Whoa, what about your shoulder?

Sanosuke: I'll take care of it on the way. Lemme borrow some medicine! (slinging his pack over his shoulder) Yahiko, after this it's up to you. Make sure the girl gets to Kenshin!

Yahiko: Right!

Sanosuke (thinking): I'll be strong!

But why is he connecting and I'm not... ! A fool who thinks he's strong and doesn't know how to defend himself won't live long anyway. Sanosuke (thinking): On my way to Kyoto, I've got to get strong!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close