Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 56: May 14, 1878--Morning

One week from now ... I'll come back to hear your answer. (Kaoru tears a page off the calendar, revealing May 14. Kenshin is scrubbing busily at the well.)

Kaoru (thinking): It's been a week ... the day he has to give an answer has come, but Kenshin's just acting like normal.

Kenshin (holding up a cloth): There. Pure white!

(Sanosuke kicks him into the well.)

Kenshin:... !! (I thought I was going to die... )

Sanosuke: This is no time to do laundry. What about your answer? I can't believe you would, but you're not going to accept, are you? Leave this alone. You can't trust the man in charge of the government that only works for its own selfish gain.

Kenshin (clambering out): Sano, you're just prejudiced against the Meiji government.

Sanosuke (pushing him back down): Yeah? That's bad? (I'm from the Sekihoutai.)

Kenshin: No... (climbing out) If Governor Okubo worked only for his own profit like the other low-level Ishin Shishi, Saitou probably would have already cut him down.

Yahiko: That rotten cop? That government dog?

Kenshin: No ... before he fought me, he spoke of justice. Kill. Evil. Instantly. That was the one truth we shared with the Hitokiri. Kenshin: One whose heart and mind had been reduced to that of a dog could not speak such words. He is still the Wolf of Mibu ... From a darkness that will never see the sun, the fangs of "Kill Evil Instantly" stab-- (darkly) That's why he's not someone you can get along with.

Yahiko: Yeah!

Sanosuke: You said it.

Kaoru: I hate him!

(Four huge sneezes rock the soba house.)

Waitress: Yuck, that's dirty, Mr. Fujida.

Saitou: Excuse me. (Four sneezes... ) It seems I am hated. Well, it is natural for one of the Shinsengumi to be hated in these times. (he glances at a calendar) Well, what's it going to be, Battousai?

(Kenshin stands up, adjusting his sword.)

Kenshin (banging Yahiko cheerfully with a basket of laundry): Hang these up, Yahiko. I'm going to Governor Okubo now.

Kaoru: Why? He's coming here.

Kenshin: But Governor Okubo is a very busy man. It'll be quicker if I go to him.

Megumi (hurrying up): Oh, you're here, you're here. Good morning, Ken-san.

Sanosuke: What's the vixen doing up so early?

Megumi: How dare you speak like that to the one who saved your life?

Sanosuke: I saved yours too.

Megumi: That's different for men and women.

Kaoru: What on earth is it?

Megumi: Today's the day of the reply. I brought something useful for this day.

Kenshin: Oro.

A COLLAR

Megumi: Special Technique "Ken-san Capture"! (whispering to Kaoru) Now he definitely can't go to Kyoto, and if necessary I brought some sleeping powder--

Kaoru: Go home!!!

Yahiko: Hey, now you're the dog, Kenshin. C'mon, shake.

(Sanosuke: Women... )

Kenshin (removing the collar): Anyway, I'm leaving.

Kaoru: But do you know where Okubo's mansion is?

Kenshin: No, I heard he's going to the Cabinet in Akasaka. If I go to Kioizaka I can probably meet up with him.

Kaoru: Well, then we'll go with you--

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close