Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 44: No Need for Worries

Tsukayama Estate

Servant: It's kind of you, but he's said he doesn't want to see anyone.

Kaoru: Really. Well, please give him this. (handing him a cloth-wrapped bundle)

Servant: Thank you.

Kaoru: We'll come again soon.

Servant: Thank you very much. From myself as well.

Sanosuke (as they walk away): Shutting himself up's no good. But, he was betrayed by his master, and he'll never be able to do kenjutsu again...

Kaoru: ... the Kamiya Kasshin school is "the sword that protects life" but ... what do you do at a time like this. It's a tragedy ... and I can't think of a single word that will change that.

(Yahiko gives the house an angry glare. Inside, Yutarou sits on his bed, staring at the floor. Meanwhile, in the garden, Tsukayama and Kenshin are deep in conversation.)

Tsukayama: If you remember, in the sudden change of lifestyle after the Meiji era began, I had no connections. As a lower samurai, all I had was a good eye for swords, so I became a swords merchant. They were a great success overseas. It made my fortune when a lot of samurai were ruined. If they saw my way of life they'd call me a success. But if you asked me, I'd say I'm no better than a dog. To raise my family and protect my home, every day I bowed my head down to others. So I wanted Yutarou to be strong. To never lose at anything. To never yield to the flow of the times. I wanted him to be a man who lived according to his own beliefs. Unlike me.

Kenshin (remembering Tsukayama saying "A man must be strong no matter what"): I see.

Tsukayama: In thinking this way, I took Isurugi Raijuuta for his strength at face value, and destroyed Yutarou's dreams...

Kaoru: Oh, there you are, Kenshin--

Kenshin: Oro. That was quick. Mr. Tsukayama Yuzaemon, we'll come to pay another visit soon.

Tsukayama: Thank you. But this is probably the last time you'll see me. I've been thinking about a lot of things, and I've decided to take Yutarou with me to Germany.

Everyone: Germany!?

Tsukayama: Germany is the most advanced country in medicine. If he can be healed, it will be there ... I think. Living on foreign soil, Yutarou can forget about kenjutsu. We're leaving in a week. I don't know when we're coming back.

And so--

Shinbashi Station

Tsukayama: I want to thank you for all you've done. Yutarou, say your last goodbyes.

(Yutarou only stares at the floor.)

Kaoru (thinking): I had a week to think, but I don't have anything to say that will make him feel better--

Sanosuke (thinking): I could encourage him, tell him not to give up ... but it wouldn't ease his heart.

Servant: Master, it's time...

Tsukayama: Oh, right. Well...

Yahiko: Yutarou!! (he whips the shinai off his back to strike Yutarou, who manages to block with his cane.)

Everyone: Yahiko?!

Yahiko: Are you just going to give up!! If you're bitter because Raijuuta betrayed you, be stronger than Raijuuta and you can erase all this! Not the fake Raijuuta he really was. Be stronger than the Raijuuta you dreamed of!! If you can't do this, all your life you'll be nothing more than a beaten dog!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close