Himura_battousai
Chapter 40: A Man of Ideals

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Sanosuke and Kenshin are walking home from the market.)

Sanosuke: It's been ten days since the Shinko school attack, and no sign that Raijuuta's coming. Maybe you beat 'em so easy he got scared.

Kenshin: It wasn't easy. There were a lot of them, and the one with the twin blade was good.

Sanosuke: That's what you say, but it doesn't sound like you mean it.

Kenshin (reaching for the dojo door): You think so?

Yahiko: Who's a shrimp, you cat-eyed bastard?

Sanosuke: Ouch.

Kenshin: Oro.

Yahiko: You're not even a student and you keep coming here every day! I thought you weren't doing shinai kenjutsu anymore!!

Yutarou: I told you, shinai kenjutsu's just a game! I came to check things out for Sensei's fight with Himura Kenshin!

Yahiko: Checking things out? All Kenshin ever does is clean house.

Yutarou: Right. That surprised me too.

Yahiko: So why do you keep coming here--!!

Yutarou: Since when do I take orders from you!!

Sanosuke: Looks like we're getting the understudy instead of the real thing.

Kenshin: For ten long days.

Kaoru: (These kids are going to drive me crazy!) That's it! Stop fighting! You two are here to practice! Practice! Yahiko, today Yuta rou's practicing the jumping face stroke. You be the target.

Yahiko: You want me to do what?

Kaoru: I'm too tall for him; it wouldn't be good practice. Don't complain. Hurry and put on the mask. That's an order from your master!

(Yahiko puts on the kendo mask and armor.)

Yahiko: Come on. Let's see that shaky sword of yours...

(Yutarou deals him a strong stroke.)

Kaoru (to Kenshin): How was that?

Kenshin: I'm surprised. (thinking) He's more talented with the sword than I thought...

Yahiko (thinking, as Yutarou continues to practice): This guy couldn't even hold a shinai right when he started--he's come a long way in ten days. He's not just talk anymore! But-- (ripping off the mask and fighting back, saying) Aren't you going overboard!!!

Kaoru: That's enough!!

Kenshin: Ororo.

(Later, at the Akabeko)

Yutarou: Mm! Food tastes great after exercise. (holding out his bowl to Yahiko) Waiter, could I have another bowl?

Yahiko (jumping into a dust-cloud fight): How much are you planning on packing away?

Yutarou: Hey, I'm a customer!

Kenshin: Can we stop them?

Kaoru: I just don't know anymore...

Tsubame (creeping up to their table): Umm ... Thank you for before.

Kenshin: Nagaoka hasn't been bothering you since then, has he?

Tsubame: No, thanks to you.

Sanosuke: If he does, you just tell us.

Tsubame: Is that a friend of Yahiko's?

Kaoru: Um, sort of.

Tsubame: They look like they're getting along well.

Yahiko (turning from Yutarou to yell at her): We're FIGHTING!!! This is not getting along well!! Are you blind or something?

Tsubame: I'm sorry...

Kaoru (giving Yahiko several lumps on the head): Don't scare Tsubame like that!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close