Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 38: Yutarou's Skill

(Raijuuta and Kenshin stare each other down on the bridge, Raijuuta with his sword drawn)

Sanosuke: They're not moving...

Kaoru: It looks as though they're watching each other.

Sanosuke: A careless move means you won't be a victor. Either Kenshin or this Raijuuta guy.

(Raijuuta strikes. In an instant, Kenshin has drawn his own blade and turns Raijuuta's stroke aside. They separate.)

Tsukayama (coming up with a tray): Oh, a match between master swordsmen! You can really see the skill, can't you! Well, don't mind me, please continue. I'll just leave the tea here.

(He leaves.)

Raijuuta: People will interfere. We'll leave our match for now, but don't forget. Join me, or be killed by me. You have two choices.

Kenshin: I'll have to refuse both.

Raijuuta: Feh...

(They part.)

Sanosuke: Well, I guess we're done here.

Kaoru: But I feel like we're forgetting something...

Yahiko: Yeah, something...

(The lightbulb goes on, and Yutarou bursts upon them.)

Yutarou: You bastards! I won't stand for this!!

Sanosuke (patting him on the head): Oh, right, right. That angry kid. (Arrow: Not sorry at all.)

Yutarou: Don't you pat me! I'll get you I swear--

Kenshin: You tied him to a tree?

Kaoru: Sanosuke did it.

Yahiko: Shut up!

Yutarou: What!

Yahiko: If you're strong enough to scream that loud, then come to the dojo alone! We'll have a fight where you can't hide or run away! (as they leave) But with shinais!!

Yutarou (thinking): That ... that bastard!

Early next morning

(Yutarou stands in front of the dojo at the crack of dawn.)

Yutarou: All right, I'm here, you shrimp!!

(Everyone comes out in their pajamas.) Yahiko (squinting): You know what time it is?

Yutarou: You never said what time! So let's fight!

(facing off in the dojo)

Yutarou: We're going to settle this. Get ready!

Yahiko: Hey, Kaoru, judge for us.

Kaoru (clearly not a morning person): Nnn ... first point...

Yahiko (smacking her with the shinai): You call that a yell! What kind of a fight is this--

Kaoru (smacking back): What do you think you're doing!!

Yahiko: Wake up you hag!!

Yutarou: Hey, fight me!!

Kaoru: First point! (And I'll deal with you later!)

Yutarou: Let's go!

Yahiko:!

Kaoru: Huh?

Kenshin: Oro?

Yahiko: You're holding the shinai wrong.

Kaoru: Usually you grip it with the two hands separated, with the left at the bottom and the right just below the hilt.

Yutarou: I ... I only trained with real swords! So I don't know any shinai grips--

Kenshin: Actually, your grip on a real sword should be the same as on a shinai...

(A dark pause.)

Yahiko: So that was all talk. You don't really know how to fight? Don't tell me you tried to get up so early that you'd win before we figured it out.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close