Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 29: Two Destinies--Megumi

(They climb the stairs and proceed down a passageway overlook the ballroom. Kenshin suddenly falls to his knees.)

Sanosuke: Kenshin!

Kenshin (getting up): I'm all right. I just stumbled a little. Let's hurry. Miss Megumi is waiting.

Sanosuke (thinking): Looks like it would be better if we hurried. (looking down upon the ballroom.) Shinomori Aoshi. Your great strength hurt Kenshin a lot. But in one battle, you were hurt worse by far...

(Megumi, in the tower, clutches her knife anxiously)

Megumi: The gunshots have stopped ... what on earth...

(The doorknob begins to rattle.)

Sanosuke & Yahiko (kicking it open): This is taking too long!

Yahiko: Right! Hey, no ambush.

Megumi: Yahiko. Sanosuke...

Kenshin: Sorry to have kept you waiting, Miss Megumi.

Megumi: Ken-san ... you're hurt.

Kenshin: We had a little trouble. But more importantly I'm glad to see you're safe.

(Megumi does not return their smiles.)

Megumi: I'm sorry. I involved you in all this. And on top of that exposed you to such danger. But don't worry. (putting the knife to her wrist.) The source of your worries will soon disappear.

Kenshin: Miss Megumi!!

Megumi: I've been reduced to making drugs ... I regret that I couldn't have seen my family again, but I'm very glad I met you in the end.

Kenshin: Wait!

Megumi: Thank you...

(Sanosuke grabs the blade with his bare hand.)

Sanosuke: You idiot! Kenshin and Yahiko just laid their lives on the line for you! You wanna throw all that away?!

Megumi: But ... there's nothing I can do. My opium caused so much pain to so many people ... Even knowing that I was forced to do it couldn't restore to me even the weakest happiness...

(a pause. Yahiko glances out the window.)

Yahiko: Kenshin, trouble! It's the police! They must have heard the noise! Hurry, let's get out of here!

Sanosuke (grabbing Megumi's wrist): Don't just stand there, hurry!

(She snatches her hand away.)

Megumi: Ken-san. (holding out a tiny jar) It's a family treasure, medicine that stops bleeding. It'll take care of the cuts on your chest until you can get to a doctor. Kanryuu made a secret passage in the roofspace. If you go through there you'll get out safely. Thank you for taking care of me.

(She turns to walk away.) Kenshin: The punishment for smuggling opium is death--Did you know that all along? Miss Megumi.

Megumi: Yes ... But the opium killed people like Sanosuke's friend. I cannot run away. For the crime of taking life I can pay with my own.

(Below, the police storm the mansion in a scene of chaos.)

Policeman: Chief, look here! A hidden warehouse in the cellar!

Chief: All right, confiscate everything!

General Hubbub: Be quiet! Let me go! Dammit! This is a major smuggling operation! Let no one escape!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close