Himura_battousai
Chapter 22: Assault on Kanryuu's Estate

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Kanryuu: You're ... you're joking ... how could we have made an enemy of the legendary Hitokiri?

Aoshi: Don't say that. We want this fight.

(As they walk towards the house, Kenshin stops.)

Yahiko: What's wrong, Kenshin?

Kenshin (looking up): Kanryuu!! Your time has come, Takeda Kanryuu. Come down with Miss Megumi.

(They stare at each other. Kanryuu begins to laugh wildly.)

Sanosuke: Has he gone crazy?

Kanryuu (clapping his hands): Wonderful! To have destroyed all fifty of my soldiers so quickly--truly the work of the legendary Hitokiri Himura Battousai!

Yahiko: Those jerks, Kenshin's past--

Sanosuke: The Oniwabanshuu must have looked into it.

Kanryuu: That's swordsmanship I like to see. If you joined the Oniwabanshuu under me we truly would be the strongest!! I'll pay you the price of fifty soldiers' wages. You'll be my bodyguard!!

Kenshin: You're coming down or you're not. Which is it?

Kanryuu: Well, one hundred then. Two hundred!!

Aoshi: You don't understand. You can't win him over with money. Himura Battousai doesn't act for profit.

Kanryuu (leaning out the window): I see. I've lost. I'll hand over Takani Megumi.

(They halt in surprise.)

Kanryuu: But give me an hour! There's some preparations that must be made. I'll send her down after an hour! Trust me! Just wait here!

Sanosuke: You think you can just start talking and we'll trust you?!

(Kenshin turns and begins to walk away.)

Yahiko: Kenshin! Wait! You can't be that trusting! Hey!!

Kanryuu (thinking): Good. After an hour Megumi will have coughed up the secret of the Spider's Web and we'll have no further use for her. She can't possibly hold out that long!

(Kenshin passes a lamppost with a cement base. He stops, and whips his sword from the sheath, cutting it from the base with one backhand blow. It smashes into the house to Kanryuu's right.)

Kenshin: I'll come up there within one hour! Wait with care, Kanryuu!!

Aoshi: Your makeshift plans only added fuel to the fire. This is practically a theatre.

Kanryuu: O ... Okashira, the Oniwabanshuu will--

Aoshi: Already taken care of. My right and left hands are deployed at the stairs at the back of the hallway leading from the entrance. I'll act as rear guard in the second-story ballroom.

Kanryuu: All right, but we can do without worthless trash like Beshimi and Hyottko! I won't stand for those who can't live up to their salaries!!

Aoshi: You "won't stand for it"? Make no mistake. The leader of the Oniwabanshuu is not you. (seizing him by the front of his shirt) The Oniwabanshuu is mine. And I won't allow anyone to speak badly of them! (releasing him) To continue, their target is Takani Megumi. She is confined in the third floor observation tower. Now go count your money and leave this to me.

(In the tower, Megumi is coming to her senses.)

Aoshi: You're awake.

Megumi: This is ... the tower? What on earth...

Aoshi: The men from the Kamiya Dojo have come to get you back. They've already defeated the soldiers.

Megumi: Fools. Even though I ran off, they still--they're fools, every one of them.

(Her short sword clatters to the floor.)

Aoshi: That's yours. I'm returning it. It's better not to get your hopes up. They'll never make it up here. In an hour, you'll have nothing to prevent Kanryuu from torturing you. A painful life or an easy death. Choose your own path. We aren't concerned with Kanryuu's drugs or money. What we care about is the fight. We came to fight for this shady smuggling business, and thanks to you, we have some worthy enemies. This is my thanks. You're one of little luck, so I have some sympathy. What you do with it is not my concern.

(Kenshin and the others stand before the front doors.)

Yahiko: From here on it should be guarded by the Oniwabanshuu. Don't get careless. Let's go!!

Sanosuke: Don't act so tough.

(They burst through the doors to meet the first of the Oniwabanshuu.)

Kenshin: I'm surprised. Your employer placed you first--

Hanya: As I said before. We can have our match now without haste.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close