Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 13: The Origin of a Patriot's Name

Battousai: The time for talk is over. Come, so I can kill you now!

Jin'eh: Kill me? Good. (he snaps his nose back into place) A speech worthy of a Hitokiri!

Kaoru (turning her face away, still unable to breathe): Kenshin...

Jin'eh: Now that you are the Hitokiri of old, The true fight begins here. Let's do it, Battousai!

(He charges, but Battousai stands unmoving. His stare stops Jin'eh in his tracks.)

Battousai: What's wrong?

Jin'eh: You truly are the great Hitokiri of legend. You really change when you show your killing ki.

Battousai: If you value your life, release Miss Kaoru.

Jin'eh: I can't release her. This is different from the one I put on those pigs of Tani's. Either she breaks it herself, or you release her by killing me. The former is impossible.

Battousai: Then I'll have to kill you.

Jin'eh: That, is also impossible! (he raises his sword in the one-character form.) The living are susceptible to impressions. If you get the idea that you're sick, your actual condition will get worse. If you get the idea you can't breathe, then it will actually hurt to breathe. By raising your ki, you shrink that of your opponent and make him unable to move. Your thoughts become your reality! And I am no exception! (he seems to bristle with strength) I! Cannot! Fail!

Battousai: I see. A sign of your own strength. You use the technique on yourself to bring out your full power...

Jin'eh: I! Am! Matchless!

(They stare each other down.)

Jin'eh: I ... AM the strongest! The Hyoki no Jutsu of the One-sided Heart. I've haven't used it ever since I left the Shinsengumi, about fifteen years. (turning to a boulder, he reduces it to rubble with a few blows.) If you call this cowardice it's a coward's technique, but it's mine.

Battousai: It doesn't matter. Use whatever technique you like. However. (he sheathes his sword.) Once I've said I'll kill you, your death is assured.

Jin'eh (thinking): That's ... the battou-jutsu stance!

Battou-jutsu--By whipping the sword out of the sheath, one can increase its speed twice or three fold. A great technique which can kill with one blow without taking a single blow from one's opponent. It could also be called iai-jutsu (the art of drawing one's sword, cutting down one's opponent, and sheathing the sword all in one movement.) Jin'eh (thinking): Battou-jutsu, the fastest technique of the deadly-swift Hiten Mitsurugi school!

Battousai: Come, and I'll show you how I got the name "Battousai."

Jin'eh (thinking): However ... if I can dodge the blow, I can win! Because battou-jutsu destroys in one blow, afterwards he'll be left completely open! If he makes a mistake, I'll give him death. A double-edged technique ... can I dodge? ... I can dodge! I can dodge this!! (aloud) Take this, Himura Battousai!!

(he charges. Battousai stands where he is, waiting.)

Jin'eh (thinking): Battousai, you're forgetting one thing! You haven't noticed your one fatal flaw! The sword! The reverse blade will handicap the battou-jutsu technique! The curve of the reversed sword will slow it down! And using the shadow arts, this little difference is my golden chance of victory!

(He brings his sword down. Battousai draws his blade.)

Jin'eh (thinking): Fast! But even a slight dodge-- (he pulls back, and the blade swings harmlessly past him.) I've won! (aloud) Victory is mine, Battousai!

(Battousai brings the sheath up like a sword, striking his elbow.)

Jin'eh (thinking): He ... he used the sword and the sheath ... two-sword battou- jutsu--?!

(He goes down.)

Battousai: Hiten Mitsurugi school Battou-jutsu, Souryuusen. I'm fully aware that the battou-jutsu was originally a one-blow killing technique, and that the reverse blade was not meant for battou-jutsu. I am the one who learned and mastered all of the battou-jutsu techniques. This is the origin of the name Battousai. Your elbow is smashed and the tendon severed. Your career with the sword is over. And so ends your life.

(raising the reverse blade, edge down.)

Battousai: Die.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close