Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 8: And So Another Joins Them

Zanza (swinging the zanbatou in circles above his head): We'll settle this, Battousai!!!

Yahiko: What--what is he doing?

Kaoru: Centrifugal force! With his gigantic strength and the great weight of the zanbatou, the swings will add even more force to his attack!

Zanza (thinking): From then--after the Sekihoutai was destroyed, I become a street fighter. I fought day and night. When I got involved in a fight, I could forget everything. And in those ten years, I became strong! (aloud, as he brings the sword down) And now that strength will destroy the strongest of the patriots!!!

Kenshin: Such mean strength cannot destroy me.

(The swords meet. The blade of the zanbatou is sheared cleanly off. Kenshin leaps straight up.)

Yahiko: That's...

Kaoru: How he destroyed Hiruma...

Kenshin: Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu Ryuutsuisen!

(He brings down the flat of the reverse blade full force on Zanza's head. Zanza remains standing.)

Kenshin: Strong, as I thought. You're the first to have taken the Ryuutsuisen and not been destroyed. But you must be using all your strength to keep to your feet. (turning away) Now, wait here while I call a doctor.

Zanza: Not yet! I'm not finished yet! I'm not down yet! I will not lose! In the name of Sagara and the Sekihoutai, I won't lose to an Ishin Shishi even if it means my death!

(Kenshin turns back to face him.)

Kaoru (thinking): Kenshin. Are you...

Zanza: So come on! Come on!

(Kenshin coolly punches him.)

Kenshin: Did the Sekihoutai teach you to destroy the Ishin Shishi? Or to bring in the new era?

Zanza: Shut up! You preached equality, but you drowned in greed and acted like you owned the whole damn world! Don't tell me about the Ishin Shishi, who gave us the lie of a new age!

Kaoru: That's not true! Kenshin wasn't that kind of patriot! He never cared about glory or power. He's a vagabond, who protected people's freedom! All you know about Kenshin is Hitokiri Battousai, so you can't talk!

Yahiko (charging): That's right! Go any further and instead of Kenshin you'll be facing Myoujin Ya--

Kenshin (holding him back): This could get complicated, so you'd better stay back.

(Zanza glares at them defiantly.)

Kenshin: Zanza, the new era isn't finished. Certainly the shape of the new age was formed ten years ago. But those who are truly in need of happiness are still in the old era where the weak are oppressed. And so in my own small way, to bring such people power, I wield this blade. (holding out the reverse blade) For a year, or ten years, or what if the new age is eternally unfinished? I don't know, but I think this will make amends for the victims of the new age. I think it will make amends for the people Hitokiri Battousai killed. (he walks away)

Zanza (thinking): That's the same.

Kenshin (to Kaoru): You were paralyzed with fear?

Yahiko: You're pathetic, "master."

Kaoru: Shut up!

Zanza (thinking): He's the same as Captain Sagara, who dreamed of a new age and fought for it ... And he continued to fight ... While I despaired, trying to forget by starting into fight after fight...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close