Himura_battousai
Chapter 2: The Vagabond Comes to Town

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

A week after the Hiruma brothers have gone and the violence of the false Battousai has been put to an end. Adjutant master of the Kamiya Kasshin School Kamiya Kaoru (17) has rushed about recalling her students to revive her school--but-- Kaoru: Not a single one of them came back. This is unbelievable.

Kenshin (who is doing laundry by the well): It's because we live in an age of culture and enlightenment. Once things change it's not easy to go back.

Kaoru: Speaking of unbelievable, what about your age? Twenty-eight? It's a lie. It's a trick. Apologize and tell me the truth!

Kenshin: Well, at least I'm not thirty, right?

Kaoru: Twenty-eight's no good either.

Kenshin: You're picky.

(Later, shopping in town.)

Kaoru (thinking as they walk): Himura Kenshin is a vagabond, a wandering swordsman, traveling free from worldly cares, now staying at the dojo. But he is truly the patriot who paved the way for the Meiji Restoration, the legendary Hitokiri without peer, Himura Battousai-- but ... Why would he become a vagabond ... Almost all the patriots gave up their swords. Now, they have positions in the new government. If he wanted power...

Kenshin (noticing her staring at him): There's something you want to ask me about my past, isn't there.

Kaoru (guiltily remembering her words "Everyone has one or two things about their past they don't want to talk about."): That's not it at all! It's your sword! You can't just walk around with a sword these days!

Kenshin: But just two years ago lots of people wore them. Look, it's not bothering anybody.

Kaoru: But what are you going to do when the police find it, like last time! They won't find out it's a reverse blade until it's too late!

Kenshin: It happens if it happens.

Kaoru: Jeez. Well, let's take care of the shopping. You get the miso, the salt and the soy sauce.

Kenshin: That'll be heavy.

Kaoru: Don't complain!

(A carriage draws up behind her.)

Man in the Carriage: Excuse me, miss. I've gotten a little lost. Can you tell me the way to the police station?

Kaoru: Oh ... yes. You just turn right at the large street up ahead.

Man: Thank you. (to the driver) Let's hurry.

Kaoru (as he drives off): That startled me. I wonder where he's from. I haven't seen him before. Well, shopping.

Man in the Carriage (thinking): It's true ... this is the town ... Himura Battousai... !

Kaoru (to a passerby, in front of a forming crowd): What's going on?

Passerby: They've caught someone. The guy the police were after for breaking the edict against carrying swords.

(Policemen have formed a semi-circle around Kenshin against a brick wall.)

Police: He's little, but he's fast!

Police2: You can't run away!

Kenshin: That's true. You're very persistent. There's nothing to be done. I'll go peacefully.

Sword-bearing Police (from behind): Out of the way! Sword-bearing police coming through!! Get out of our way!!

Sword-bearing Police: The policeman permitted to wear swords. An elite, selected from among the best for their ability at kenjutsu. Policeman (saluting): Cap-captain Ujiki...

Ujiki: Good work. We'll take it from here. Return to headquarters.

Policeman: B-but, this man hasn't shown any sign of drawing his sword. (quietly) So, we shouldn't need any help to bring him in--

(Ujiki strikes him with the butt of his sword.)

Ujiki: Are you trying to give me advice? If I say get out of here, get out of here. (turning to Kenshin) What's this. Looks like a nice guy. (he whips his sword around, stopping in inches from Kenshin's face.) Why don't you draw your sword? If you're wearing a sword in Tokyo you must have great confidence in your abilities.

Kenshin (gently pushing the blade aside): There's no need to draw a sword recklessly. I have no reason to show off.

Kaoru (running towards them): Kenshin!

Ujiki: She must be with Mr. Nice Guy here.

Kenshin: Miss Kaoru, stay back!

(Swordsmen on either side of her slice just above her head. The ribbon in her hair falls to the ground.)

Policeman: Your kimono will be next.

Ujiki: Once again, why don't you draw your sword?

Kenshin: Can you really be police...

Ujiki: That's right. Permitted to wear swords. Licensed to kill. The Sword-bearing Police!

Kaoru (under her breath): Why won't he draw his sword?

Crowd: This is tyranny! Don't push it, cop! Leave him alone, you bastards!

Ujiki: Jeering from a crowd--you must be pretty brave. This is an obstruction of justice. Arrest them all! I don't care about those who resist. Kill them.

(The police turn on the fleeing crowd, but a sound behind them makes everyone freeze. Kenshin stands, sword drawn.)

Kenshin: Miss Kaoru or the townspeople--don't touch them! If you want an opponent, I'm here. Those who want to eat dirt may come on.

Ujiki: So Mr. Nice Guy is no more, eh? That reverse blade is a strange sword intended for self-defense. But a swordsman gets out of practice if he doesn't kill someone once in a while!!

(At police headquarters, the chief of police is talking with the man from the carriage--whose name, as we discover later, is Yamagata.)

Yamagata: I see, so he was an impostor...

Chief: Yes.

Yamagata: If you think about it, it makes sense. Himura was not the kind of man to show off his strength. Certainly the man called Hitokiri Battousai killed. But he never killed for his own gain. It was all for the new era--There are many heroes who saved lives with their swords ... but without him the patriots could not have succeeded. I wanted to find him and grant him the rank in the Emperor's military he deserves.

Chief: Yes but actually ... the culprits were found beaten in front of the station. Who did it is unclear. They claim it was the real one.

Yamagata: What... !

Chief: But that's probably just talk.

(A young officer bursts into the office.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close