Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 1: Kenshin - Himura Battousai

One hundred and forty years ago, in the whirlpool of Kyoto violence that began with Perry's landing in Japan, there was a warrior called Hitokiri Battousai. This man, who paved the way for the new Meiji era with these bloody battles, disappeared at the conclusion of the bloodshed. With the passage of time he became a legend, known simply as "the strongest."

And so our story begins, in Tokyo, in the year 1878--

(A man is walking through the streets of a small town at night. He is short, has long red hair in a ponytail, and carries a sword. He has a cross-shaped scar on his left cheek.)

Kaoru: Hitokiri Battousai!

(He looks behind him. A girl dressed in a hakama and carrying a bokutou is walking towards him.)

Kaoru: At long last I've found you. Your two months of bloodshed in the streets ends tonight. Prepare yourself!

Vagabond (eyes bugging out): Oro?

Kaoru: Don't play innocent with me! Who else would ignore the edict and walk around with a sword!!

(She swings. The vagabond leaps out of the way, crashing into a fence and collapsing in a heap.)

Kaoru: That didn't take long ... Hitokiri Battousai?

Vagabond: Vagabond (rubbing his head) I'm a vagabond, with no family or profession. A wandering swordsman. I just arrived in town. I don't know anything about bloodshed in the streets--

Kaoru: Well ... well how to you explain this sword at your waist? Swordsmen aren't allowed to wear real swords! (she draws the sword) What is this ... a reverse blade... ?

Reverse blade--a sword with the ordinary blade and flat edge reversed. Vagabond: Could this sword kill anyone?

Kaoru: ... It couldn't ... The nicks don't smell of blood, there's no clouds of tallow on the blade. Like it's never been used. You really are just...

Vagabond: Yes. A vagabond.

Kaoru: But why would you carry a sword you can't use--the police whistle! (she sets off running) This time for sure!

Vagabond (diving to catch his sword) Oro. (catches it). What do I do ... It looks like trouble in a place I don't know.

(A scene of carnage. A giant swordsman is massacring a group of policemen.)

Battousai: Weak! Weak! You're all too weak!

Policeman: He--he's just too strong. That strength ... it truly is the great Battousai!

Kaoru (leaping in front of him): Hold it right there, Battousai!! (they exchange blows. Kaoru leaps clear, skidding to a halt against a wall. She's taken a cut to the shoulder. He advances, trapping her against the wall.) Oh no...

(The vagabond snatches her up and carries her out of danger.)

Vagabond: You are reckless.

Kaoru: The vaga--

(He collapses into a small ball.)

Vagabond (in a pained voice): I must have dislocated my pelvis--

Kaoru: What on earth is wrong with you!

Battousai (viewing them all with disgust.): I am Battousai! Himura Battousai of the Kamiya Kasshin School! (as he leaves) The one they call Hitokiri Battousai!

Kaoru (ready to run after him) Wait!

Vagabond (holding her back by her ponytail): He waited long enough. (recovering from the rain of blows she just dealt him) Chasing a man too far when you're wounded is taking your life in your hands. He gave the name of his school, so you can track him down without all this haste--

Kaoru: Kamiya Kasshin is MY school!! He's been committing these atrocities in our name! Once I get my hands on him I'll--

Vagabond (pulling her back again) I said chasing him too far wouldn't help, didn't I? But let's leave before the police start asking too many questions.

(In the Kamiya dojo. The vagabond studies the wooden name tags of the people in the school, as a servant, Kiheh, tends Kaoru's wound.)

Vagabond: Adjutant master Kamiya Kaoru. And then--oro?

(Hers is the only name on the wall.)

Kaoru: We were a small school, but we had ten students, all training hard. But two months ago his street killings began. One by one the students left, fearing the name of Battousai. The townspeople won't have anything to do with the dojo. Even in the Meiji era the name of Battousai still commands fear. I don't know why Battousai would dirty the name of the Kamiya Kasshin School. If he really is Battousai. I haven't got the slightest idea, but if I can't stop him soon--

Vagabond: I understand, but you should stop keeping these night watches.

Kaoru: Huh?

Vagabond: That man is stronger than you by far.

Kaoru: WHAT?

Vagabond: It's an important part of a swordsman's nature to know your own and your opponent's strength. You understand what the outcome will be the next time you fight him? The prestige of your school isn't so important that you should wager your life to protect it. The Kamiya Kasshin School--

Kaoru: The Kamiya Kasshin School was brought into the Meiji era by my father, who survived the violence of the Bakumatsu. My father wasn't a killer. He fought single-mindedly for his motto, "the sword that protects life." But as a member of the sword-bearing Metropolitan police, he was sent to the Southwest war half a year ago. The place where he died was far from the ideal world he hoped for. This man who calls himself Hitokiri Battousai has already killed more than ten people. The name of the Kamiya Kasshin School, the school left to me by my father, is being degraded by a murderer. But I guess a vagabond wouldn't understand.

(a pause)

Vagabond (smiling): Well, whatever happens, you can't keep a night watch with your arm. The best thing for you to do now is to act with caution. If you can't even keep yourself alive, the ideal of "the sword that protects life" would be a joke. I'm sure your honored father wouldn't want his school protected at the cost of his daughter's life. (leaving the room) Excuse me.

Kiheh (finishing her bandage): It's all taken care of, Miss Kaoru.

Kaoru: Thank you, Kiheh.

Kiheh: Miss Kaoru, you mustn't let down your guard. After all, vagabond is just another word for failure. You're too kind to such people for your own good.

Kaoru: I know. I know...

(the next day. Kaoru and Kiheh are walking through town. A crowd has gathered.)

Kaoru: Have they caught somebody?

Police: Hey, stop that! Come quietly!

Vagabond: Oro.

Kaoru: The vagabond! (running forward) You're still in town?

Vagabond (from the ground): Oh, it's Miss Kaoru. I almost didn't recognize you in women's clothes--

Kaoru (turning her back): I don't have to help.

Vagabond: Oro ro...

Kaoru: Oh, for pete's sake. (to the policeman) What's he done?

Policeman: As you can see, he's broken the edict against wearing swords. (recognizing her) Hey, aren't you the one from Hitokiri Battousai's dojo--

Kaoru: That's a lie!!

Policeman: Are you defying government authority?

Kaoru: Government my foot! Quit trying to hide behind your uniform!

Kiheh (stepping forward): I'm sure we can settle this peaceably, without all this fuss... (he takes the policeman's hand in both of his. When he lets go, there is a folded bill in his hand.)

Police: Well, we'll let you off out of consideration for the old man. Next time it'll be different. (leaving) You watch your mouth, girl.

Kaoru (making a face): Jerk!

Vagabond: I suppose the police aren't exactly reliable these days, are they.

Kaoru: Hm?

Vagabond: Nothing.

Kaoru: But you were still here. What are you doing in town?

Vagabond: No ... nothing in particular. More importantly, has anything further developed in the case of the street killings?

Kaoru: Well ... I thought of someone who might be the killer There's a dojo called Kiheikan on the outskirts of the neighboring town.

Vagabond: Kiheikan?

Kaoru: Yes. Well, at least in used to be a dojo, but now it's more of a gambling hall, and about two months ago an ex-samurai took control of it. He's a large man, six shaku five sun (195 cm or 6'7'')

Vagabond: Oh ho.

Kaoru: Suspicious, isn't it? Especially since the attacks began two months ago. You don't meet a swordsman of that size every day. I don't have any proof, so I can't do anything yet, but I know I'm close... !

Kiheh: Miss Kaoru, there's still preparations to be made for dinner. Shall I...

Kaoru: Yes, please go ahead.

Vagabond: That's him from last night, isn't it?

Kaoru: Oh, Kiheh? He's my housekeeper. He came soon after my father died. I took care of him after finding him lying outside the dojo. He worries about a woman practicing kenjutsu. He thinks I should stop teaching, sell the dojo and live in peace.

Vagabond: But where did he come from?

Kaoru: I didn't ask, so I don't know.

Vagabond (shocked): You're pretty trusting.

Kaoru: Do you think so? It's all right. Everyone has one or two things about their past they don't want to talk about. Aren't you the same? Isn't that why you became a vagabond?

(He looks surprised for a minute, then he nods.)

Vagabond: Something like that.

Kaoru: A vagabond probably doesn't have much to spare for an inn, so will you stay at the house?

Vagabond: That's all right. I have a little business to take care of, so I'll see you later.

Kaoru: Um, about before--

Vagabond: It's already been forgotten. I'll see you.

Kaoru: W-wait a minute.

Vagabond: Is there something else?

Kaoru: Um, the other day ... you saved me and I didn't have a word of thanks--um ... I'm sorry.

Vagabond (feeling her forehead): Do you have a fever or something?

Kaoru (beating him up): Jeez, I'm trying to apologize!!

Vagabond: Oh, so you were. (he shakes his head)A vagabond doesn't worry about little things like that. You don't need to either. I'll see you later.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close