Destiny's Road
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2015 by Lumpy

After the run in with the thugs, the rest of the school day was pretty uneventful. I met Zoe, and we went out and found her Mom in the parking lot. No one addressed it, but I guessed they had decided I was going back home with them.

As soon as we got in the car I brought up running into Tony and Tyler. After running through everything that happened in the hallway I asked the question that had been bugging me.

"How are these two guys not in jail?"

Mrs. Bell looked at me through the review mirror and said, "Because their parents have a lot of money and influence. And after talking with the detective it became clear that we would be the ones who would have to push to have charges filed. And even then, there was a strong chance little would happen to them. I just didn't want to put Zoe through that."

"I wish you would have talked to me," Zoe said. "I want to see those jerks behind bars. What's the worst they could do to me? We all know what happened."

"I know but, sadly, in cases like these the truth is rarely enough. And they would almost surely come after us with lawsuits. Their attorney more or less came out and said that. Even though we have the truth, it would make life very difficult on us. I'm sorry I didn't talk to you. I know you're disappointed I couldn't see a way around this."

Zoe looked miffed but said, "It's ok Mom. I know you are just trying to do what's best."

Once we got back to their house Mrs. Bell made us a quick snack, and then took off to go back to work ... although she did give me a brief warning to 'be good'. We ate our snack and watched TV for a little bit, neither one of us really having homework yet this early in the school year. The first week is always prep stuff, looking over the syllabus, talking about grading, and so on.

After about thirty minutes, Zoe announced we needed to go up to her room and talk. I may be young but I already knew the secret to dealing with women: just do what you're told. Still, I wasn't sure what was happening as we walked into her room. She excused herself and changed into the sleepwear she had on the previous night, including my t-shirt. She sat on the bed and patted next to her. When I took my assigned place, she lay down with her head in my lap and looked up at me.

"You don't have to be nervous, Cas. I don't bite"

I guess I had been pretty obvious, "Sorry, I guess this is all happening so fast that I am having trouble holding on. Put that together with my limited, umm, knowledge of girls and I am a little flustered."

She gave me one of her sweet innocent smiles, the one that I think means she is thinking of more than she is saying. I have a strong suspicion Zoe is more cunning then people give her credit for.

"You are doing fine. I know we just met yesterday and this seems like it is going really fast. I appreciate you letting me be in the driver's seat. Mom made me an appointment for the head doctor for next week, but really I am feeling so much better already."

"I'm glad, Zoe. Yesterday was pretty bad and I still worry about you."

She smiled and we sat silently for a little bit while I worked up some courage.

"Zoe?"

Her eyebrows lifted in a silent question.

"I am not sure how to ask this. I told you about my past ... and you know I don't really have a lot of experience dealing with girls ... I have really enjoyed spending time with you last night, and so much of today ... we have been pretty, umm, intimate over the last twenty-four hours ... and, well, I'm worried this might be a temporary thing while you are getting your life back on track. I would totally understand that ... and even if it was, I would be honored by the way things have gone ... but I would also be kind of sad. Hmmmm, I guess I don't know how to say what I am asking, but, do you think this is just temporary, or ... umm..."

She smiled back up at me.

"It's not temporary, Cas. I really like you. Really really like you. Would we have met if that stuff hadn't happened? I don't know. Honestly, maybe not. You have said how quiet and reserved you were, so I am betting we probably wouldn't have. But you know what, our meeting almost redeems everything that happened. You are so interesting. Strong and gentle, dangerous yet caring. You are a weird mix that I am fascinated with."

She stopped and her brow creased again as she added, "I guess it has been crazy, huh. Here I am, falling for you, and we have known each other barely two days. That is one of the reasons I wanted to come up here and talk."

It was my turn to do the questioning eyebrow thing.

"I have a lot of thoughts so bear with me. I really like you, and I think it's headed to more than that. Also, I am pretty sure you are headed the same way, too."

I nodded but remained silent.

"Yeah, I thought so. I want to see where this goes, but I think we need to do some planning. One, while I am not totally inexperienced, I need some time to edge myself back into a relationship. I am not as fragile as I was yesterday, but I still need to do this slowly. I still need to talk to the head-doc and make sure I don't have some kind of melt down coming. I am not broken or anything, I don't think, but I am pretty sure I am a little bent. Also, I am aware how limited your experience is. I feel like we could be really intense, but I don't want you going into it without knowing the options."

My brow furrowed, "What does that mean?"

"I think you should date a little bit. Not exclusively. Anyone you date will know how things are between us and know that I have my claws into you. At least until you have enough information to make an informed decision about us."

"What? I can't ... I don't ... how would..."

Zoe's laugh stopped me short, "That caught you by surprise, huh. Here I am snuggling all night with you, giving you a little show, kissing on you and then telling you to go date other girls. But I mean it. You need to know what is out there, not just for yourself but also for me. When, or if, you choose me; I want to know it's cause you knew to choose me, and I wasn't the default first option. As to the how, I will help. You are my new project. I will get you ready to date and even get you set up on a date."

"That's ... weird."

"I told you I was a little bent, right now. I get that this seems weird, but I think it is important. There are a few more steps that need to happen. I think you need to go back and spend the night at your house. I bet my mom would let you stay, but we need to slow things down a little bit."

She must have seen the look on my face.

"Only a little bit. We will still be hot and heavy, but I think we just need a detour or two before we hit L-ville."

"Okay. I trust you, Zoe. You are the master and I will be your student."

"Ha. Now I have more that I think you will like, grasshopper. You need to learn about women."

I did my sputtering stammering thing again. She continued to be amused at my discomfort.

"Thought that would throw you, stud. I want our first date and our first time to be special. And that means no awkwardness."

"A girl wants me to date and learn about women, so she can date me. I think my brain just had a ten-car pileup."

"Yeah, I can imagine. But I thought about this a lot, today. I think this is a good plan. It allows us to work on whatever is between us, gives me time to heal a bit, and you get to learn. Its win-win."

"What if I go on this date with some other girl and find I really like her too. I wouldn't want to hurt you. Not that I think that is going to happen, but it feels like we are playing with fire."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close