El Yes, We'd Like Some of That - Cover

El Yes, We'd Like Some of That

Copyright© 2011 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 14

TUESDAY 5:30 P. M. CST Lake's Edge Hold, Elfrealm Lake's Edge


Prince Elnore had kept up with the current events happening in the world of men and even though he had the utmost confidence in Mike and his mage crew, he still could not help fretting a bit. After all, the stakes involved in this latest event were astronomical, to say the least.

It was therefore with a heartfelt sigh of relief that he opened himself to the incoming comm line Mike established, with a chipper, 'Hi Boss, even you are not going to believe what just happened. Ready? Hope you're sitting down, because it looks like we have ourselves a real live fledgling federation in the works. By the time the Gatekeepers are situated, we'll have thirty seven member planets spread across two thirds of the Galactic lens. Oh, did I forget to mention that traffic will be two way?'

'WHAT!?! Are you serious Michael? Two-way traffic could be a disaster in the making. We are talking about garden variety humans here, right?'

'Hey, unclench your shorts a bit there. Wait until you see the gate filter I'm working on. There won't be a soul that gets off this planet without a hardwired sense of ethics installed. You didn't think we were going to just open this up like some free-for-all, did you? Besides, I've already run the preliminary plan past the Gatekeepers and they are all in agreement that this is a sure fire way to filter out the worst excesses of mankind, without squelching the drive that makes us strive to become more than we are.'

'I mean, we are talking about giving a brand new start to: farmers, ranchers, fishermen, builders, explorers, miners, etc, ad infinum. All of which will be equipped with, not just a drive to succeed, but also a drive to nurture and see their biosphere flourish. Not to mention them having instantaneous access to markets on thirty seven worlds and whatever the alien markets decide to trade with us. It's a whole new ballgame and the best one mankind has been invited to since Ellis Island opened its doors.'

'Very well, Michael. I must admit that the news of your filter program is comforting. I shudder to think of letting unmodified humans out there on an unsuspecting Galactic population. Now that would give anyone nightmares, 'Elnore sent along with a chuckle.

'Yeah, isn't that the truth. Oh, by the way, did I happen to mention that part of the Becoming-a-Colonist deal, was having your physical age retracted to about eighteen years old, or so? Think we might be able to draw a few bees with that honeycomb? After all, how many of the folks out there do you think have ever wished for a chance to live their lives again without the mistakes?'

'Michael, we're not talking about eternal life here, are we?'

'Oh Lord, no. It's just one more trip around the mulberry tree, but this time they will have a lifetime's wisdom to guide them into the right course. I'm figuring, that perk right there, could net us another one or two billion volunteers, ' Mike sent along with a mental wink, then added, 'Well, now that we've got all this lined up, I suppose it's time to brief the U.S. government.'

TUESDAY 5:45 P. M. CST White House, Washington D.C.


As The President approached the family residence he felt the distinctive tingle of mental contact on his right temple and answered with a simple, mental, 'Yes?'

'Mr. President, my apology for intruding on your family time, but we now have expanded Intel on the new hatch and subsequent developments. With us on this call are the Chicago group and the Homeland Security contact.'

'Welcome all and thank you for the apology, but with this job, I fear there are no personal hours. It's pretty much 24/7 all the time. Now, I'm hoping we have some good news. Who would like to start?' sent The President, while diverting to an adjacent room and taking a seat in a comfortable armchair. He also took the precaution of pulling his special cell phone out and flipping it open, so his secret service detail wouldn't think he was talking to thin air.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close